Using the Yakima Rack and Roll In and Around a River
I have a 350 pond, 21 .5 feet row boat Im building and was wondering if the Y08107 can go into the water. I live on a river and depth of the water is only between 2 to 3 feet deep. Would it be possible to place the boat right into the river then load the # Y08107 when Im finish rowing? If so I planning to to use the handle on the # Y08107 and pull the trailer and boat by habd to the river which is only 200 feet max.
asked by: AJ S
I love the Yakima Rack and Roll, part # Y08107, but the trailer isn't designed for in-water use, as none of the electrical components are waterproof or water resistant. I do, however, have an alternate solution.
The Rack and Roll is aluminum alloy, and you can get the rear part of the rack in as long as the lights on the rear of the trailer are not submerged. A good rule is to keep the water off of the actual wheels, and you should keep enough clearance to keep them out.
Since the Rack and Roll has Yakima roof racks on it, you can use the Yakima HandRoll, part # Y04082-2 to roll the kayak up out of the water directly onto the trailer without having to heft the kayak at all. Since the rear wheels of this system are incredibly flexible, you'd only have to get the point up and out onto them and get more or less the same effect.
I've included a video review of this carrier so you can get an idea of how it works in practice.
Your answer has been submitted!
Products Referenced in This Question
- Watersport Carriers
- Roof Mount Carrier
- Roller System
- Aero Bars
- Elliptical Bars
- Factory Bars
- Round Bars
- Square Bars
- Rear Loading
- Clamp On
- Load Assist
more information >
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- What Accessories Fit the Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer
- Picture of Yakima Bike Racks Installed on Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer
- Replacement Round Bar Adapter for Yakima JayLow Kayak Carriers
- Replacement Bulb for Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer
- What Size Boats Require the Tongue Extension for Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer
- Can You Use the Yakima HD Crossbar On a Rack and Roll Trailer
- Can All Brands of Roof Rack Carriers Fit on Yakima Rack and Roll Trailers
- Replacement Left And Right Frame Rail Assembly For The Yakima Lock And Roll Trailer
- Recommended Tongue Extension For Yakima Rack And Roll Trailer For 16-1/2 Ft Canoe
- Life Span of Tires on Yakima Easy Rider Rack and Roll Multi-Tier
- Can Square Crossbars Be Used On Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer To Stop Loads Shifting
- Can a Roof Rack Tent Be Used on a Yakima Rack-n-Roll Trailer?
- Can Yakima Rock and Roll Trailer Y08107 Be Stored Outside?
- Can Thule Square Load Bars be Used on Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer, Part # Y08107
- What Makes the Yakima Rack and Roll Different From the Malone MicroSport Trailers
- Bike Rack Recommendation for Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer
- How Long Do the Wheel Bearings Last in the Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer
- Kayak Carrier Recommended for Old Town Heron Kayaks on Yakima Y08107 Rack and Roll Trailer
- Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer Height When Stored Vertically
- Can 78 Inch Bars Be Used on Yakima 66 Inch Rack and Roll Trailer # Y08106 without Conversion Kit
- Recommended Ball Mount and Hitch Ball for Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer
- Difference in Width Between the Yakima Rack and Roll Trailers, Frame Width and Overall Width
- Sport Trailer With 15 Inch Hitch Ball Height
- Tie Down Strap Recommendation for Securing 2 Kayaks on Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer
- Can Thule Square Load Bars be Used on the Yakima Rack & Roll Trailer
- Is a Tongue Extension Needed for a 17 Foot Boat on a Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer
- Will Yakima Rack And Roll Trailer Need an Inspection in the State Of Texas
- Metal License Plate Bracket for a Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer
- Recommended Trailer for Two Titan Propel 12 Kayaks
- Can Wheels on Yakima Rack and Roll Trailer Be Folded Flat