Trailer Running Lights Work but Not the Turn or Stop Lights
We hooked my dodge ram 2012 1500 to my new used trialer. One bulb was a 1 coil and bright other was a 2 coil and dim. Figured i could change the 1 to a 2 coil and replace otherside with new bulb to make it brighter. That didnt work. Now there is no turning lights no brake lights. And the 4 prong power on truck only has one power. Checked j14 fuse. Its good. Hooked another truck to trailer same thing. Found his blown fuse. So we are sure there is a short in the trailer but i still have no power in my connector.
asked by: Daniel M
From what you are describing it does sound like you have a short somewhere. Start off by checking the connectors to make sure that they are clean and free of debris. You can then want to check all of your grounds to ensure that they are secure and connected to a clean, bare metal surface. If all of those look good then you will want to inspect the wiring itself. Look for any places where the wires are damaged, exposed, bent, or corroded and replace them.
You can replace any bad wiring with 16 Gauge Wire # 16-1-1 and Butt Connectors # DW05744-5.
I have attached a helpful article on troubleshooting 4-Way and 5-Way connectors for your trailer lighting functions.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Wire Connectors
- Butt Connectors
- 16-14 Gauge
more information >
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Q&A: Recommended Gauge of Wiring for Trailer Lights
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between the Blue Ox Patriot BRK2019 & BRK2022?
- Q&A: Recommended 7-Way Tester that is Compatible w/ Ram Factory Brake Controllers
- Article: Trailer Lighting Requirements
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Q&A: Troubleshooting A Dead Towed Vehicle Battery While Using The Blue Ox Patriot Braking System
- Q&A: Replacement Brakes on a 3,000 lb. Axle
- Q&A: Correct Replacement Electric Trailer Brakes for a 3,000 Lb Trailer Axle
- Q&A: How to Mount Magnetic Tow Lamps on Fiberglass Hardtop Roof of 2007 Jeep Wrangler
- Article: The Best Towing Mirrors
- Article: How to Measure the Bolt Pattern of a Trailer Wheel
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)