bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Parts Needed to Flat Tow 2012 Honda Pilot or 2016 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 Behind an RV


Hello, I am active duty military and will be transferring from CA to FL and I plan on taking my RV with my for the trip. We would like to tow one of my two vehicles across. Can you please tell what I would need for both vehicles. 2012 Honda Pilot 2WD 2016 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 Thank you.


Expert Reply:

First and foremost, thank you for your service to our country, preserving freedom, and defending us all.

There are 5 major components needed to flat tow a vehicle: base plates, tow bar, safety cables, lighting, and supplemental braking.

For the 2012 Honda Pilot:

Base plates # 521568-1
Tow bar # RM-520 (note that all Roadmaster tow bars are compatible with the base plates above)
Safety cables # RM-643
Lighting # RM-2120 for quick and easy or # RM-154 for something more permanent
Supplemental braking # SM99251

For the 2016 Ford F-150:

Base plates # RM-524431-4
Tow bar # RM-520
Safety cables # RM-643
Lighting # C-ATL20A for quick and easy or # RM-154 for something more permanent
Supplemental braking # SM99251 (The # RM-88400 relay is required to prevent the towed vehicle's brake signal from overriding the turn signal from the RV when applying the brakes during a turn. The RM-88400 relay is not required when using magnetic tow lights.)

For either vehicle you may also need a high-low adapter to keep the tow bar level. I have included a link to a help article that explains how to measure to determine the size adapter needed, if any. Be sure to consult your vehicle owners manuals for specific information on flat towing the vehicles. I have also included some helpful links to our series of help articles on flat towing for you.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>