Running Lights on Trailer Not Working When Towed by a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500
running lights on trailer not working, towed by 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 I checked the fuse and they are good. Would it be the relay switch for the trailer?
asked by: Larry J
I tried looking up relays that would be for a trailer on your 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 but I couldn't find anything in an online version of the owner's manual. If your copy of the manual shows relays then that would be a great place to go next if all of your fuses look good.
Should you have relays that are in working order then you will want to check the connectors on your Ram and your trailer to make sure that they are clean and free of debris.
If those look good then you will need to physically inspect the wiring on your truck or trailer. You can determine if the problem is on your Ram by using a Circuit Test # PTW2992 and testing the running light function on your connector. You can test your trailer lights by using the battery from your Ram and grounding the negative terminal while touching the positive terminal to the various pins on your trailer connector.
Regardless of which end it is on you will want to start off by checking your grounds to make sure that they are solid and connected to a clean, bare metal surface.
Next is the wiring itself. Look for any places where the wiring is bent, corroded, exposed, or damaged and replace it. You can use 16 Gauge Wire # 16-1-1 and Butt Connectors # DW05744-5 to replace any sections that need it.
If all of your grounds and wiring looks good then you will need to take your setup to a shop so that can physically inspect it.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Wire Connectors
- Butt Connectors
- 16-14 Gauge
more information >
- Electrical Tools
- Circuit Tester
- Performance Tool
more information >
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Q&A: Recommended Gauge of Wiring for Trailer Lights
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between the Blue Ox Patriot BRK2019 & BRK2022?
- Q&A: Recommended 7-Way Tester that is Compatible w/ Ram Factory Brake Controllers
- Article: Trailer Lighting Requirements
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Q&A: Troubleshooting A Dead Towed Vehicle Battery While Using The Blue Ox Patriot Braking System
- Q&A: Replacement Brakes on a 3,000 lb. Axle
- Q&A: Correct Replacement Electric Trailer Brakes for a 3,000 Lb Trailer Axle
- Q&A: How to Mount Magnetic Tow Lamps on Fiberglass Hardtop Roof of 2007 Jeep Wrangler
- Article: The Best Towing Mirrors
- Article: How to Measure the Bolt Pattern of a Trailer Wheel
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)