Troubleshooting Running Light Pin on 7-Way Not Receiving Enough Power
When I put the test light on the running lights ground on the trucks 7 way polak it seems a bit dim so the issue is truck not trailer. How do I check the brown wire to see where issue is coming from properly
asked by: Kyle
Typically dim lights are an indication of a bad ground somewhere.
What you can start off doing is checking the 7-Way on your truck to make sure that it is clean and free of debris. You will then want to move to all of your grounds and check to make sure that they are secure and connected to a clean, bare-metal surface.
If those look good then you will want to check the wiring itself. Look for any places where it could be damaged, bent, corroded, or exposed and replace as necessary. You can use 16 Gauge Wire # 16-1-1 and Butt Connectors # DW05744-5 to replace any sections in need of it.
If you are still having problems after running through these troubleshooting steps let me know and I will be happy to further assist.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Wire Connectors
- Butt Connectors
- 16-14 Gauge
more information >
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Q&A: Recommended Gauge of Wiring for Trailer Lights
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between the Blue Ox Patriot BRK2019 & BRK2022?
- Q&A: Recommended 7-Way Tester that is Compatible w/ Ram Factory Brake Controllers
- Q&A: Replacement Motor and Gear Box for Landing Gear # ADTH 1RV-200 on Keystone Everest
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Q&A: Replacement Brakes on a 3,000 lb. Axle
- Q&A: Correct Replacement Electric Trailer Brakes for a 3,000 Lb Trailer Axle
- Q&A: Troubleshooting A Dead Towed Vehicle Battery While Using The Blue Ox Patriot Braking System
- Article: The Best Towing Mirrors
- Article: How to Measure the Bolt Pattern of a Trailer Wheel
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)