bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Choosing the Correct 1-7/8 Inch and 2 Inch Dual Ball Mount


havent picked a vehicle yet, looked at a few, so tentative on my vehicle purchase i will need a draw bar with 1 7/8 and 2 inch trailer balls, no use for a 2 5/8 ball so im only looking for a dual ball draw bar the kind you just pull out of the receiver and flip to change ball size, for either a 1 1/4 receiver or a 2 inch receiver do these items exist? thanks!


Expert Reply:

There are dual ball mounts that have both a 1-7/8" and 2" hitch ball available, though you need to determine the amount of rise or drop you need in order to choose the correct ball mount. For example, the Rapid Hitch Adjustable Ball Mount Kit # AM3411 fits a 2" receiver and offers up 5-1/2" of drop or 6-1/2" of rise. The Rapid Hitch # AM3414 is another option and offers up to 10" of drop.

In order to choose the correct ball mount, there are a couple measurements you'll need to take. First, make sure both your vehicle and trailer are parked on level ground; you'll then want to measure from the ground to the top of your hitch receiver. Next, measure from the ground to the bottom of your coupler. If the height of your hitch is greater, you will need a ball mount with that amount of drop. If the height of the coupler is greater, you'll need a ball mount with that amount of rise. For example, if the top of the hitch on your truck measured 12 inches and the bottom of your coupler measured 6 inches, you would need a ball mount with 6 inches of drop. I've attached a link to a help article on ball mounts for you to take a look at, as well as a link to our selection of ball mounts.

expert reply by:
Kyle S

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>