Trailer Hitch Compatibility with 2014 Jeep Patriot
U-haul can not install a trailer hitch on my 2014 Jeep Patriot because the positioning of the fuel fuel pump blocks the installation. What can I do?
asked by: Paul M
We offer several hitch options for the 2014 Jeep Patriot, all shown on the linked page, that install with certain requirements. These installation requirements may include some trimming of plastic fascia parts, temporary removal of the exhaust heat shield and/or tow hooks, and temporary lowering of the exhaust, just to provide easier access to the mounting points on the frame.
I have never heard of a hitch installation on a standard passenger vehicle being affected by the location of the fuel pump since these are usually contained inside the gas tank and only have external fuel lines which run up to the engine compartment. Unless your Patriot has been modified there should be no issue installing a 2-inch Class III hitch such as Draw-Tite # 75712 or a 1-1/4-inch Class II type like # 36423.
You might note that the U-Haul brand hitches sold for your Jeep are produced by Draw-Tite, and actually share part number 75712G (the "G" being the identifier as the U-Haul part). I confirmed with my technical contact at Draw-Tite that there are no known issues with installing a hitch on your 2014 Patriot.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Trailer Hitch
- Custom Fit Hitch
- Class II
- 300 lbs TW
- 3500 lbs GTW
- 1-1/4 Inch Hitch
- Concealed Cross Tube
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Shop: Trailer Wiring
- Shop: Trailer Hitch
- Shop: T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Q&A: Trailer Wiring Harness for a 2008 Jeep Compass to Tow a Trailer with a 4-Way Connector
- Q&A: Recommendation For Hitch That Clears The Muffler On A 2010 Jeep Compass
- Q&A: Towing Capacity for 2016 Jeep Compass
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Q&A: How to Prevent Corrosion on a 4-Way Trailer Connector
- Q&A: Can Either Pin Hole of B&W Tow and Stow Ball Mount part # BWTS10049B be Used
- Q&A: What is Vehicle Frame Width that Curt Multi Fit Hitch # C13900 Fits
- Article: Rooftop Cargo Carriers
- Q&A: Solution for Installing Hitch on 2017 Jeep Patriot that Seems Slightly Too Short
- Article: What Do I Need To Tow A Trailer?
- Article: Ball Mount Basics: Weight Capacity, Class, and Size
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Electric Bikes