Recommendation for Installing a Bike Rack on a 2006 Jeep Wrangler and Clear the Rear Spare Tire
I have a spare tire on my Jeep Wrangler 2006 and need to extend the inner bar by 12 inches so that I can clear my spare tire and still attach a bike rack on the bar. In other words I need a ball hitch that would have twelve or more inches from the hole to any ball or that would interfere with the attaching of the bike rack attachment. Need a ball mount for a Jeep Wrangler 2006
asked by: David B
A ball mount is used for towing a trailer. The coupler on the trailer will attach to the hitch ball that is on the ball mount. The Curt Ball Mount, part # D-26 that you have referenced will fit a 2 inch hitch receiver and has a distance of 12-5/8 inches from the center of the hitch pin hole to the center of the ball hole. It also has a 3/4 inch rise and a 2 inch drop.
If you are wanting to attach a hitch bike rack to a 2 inch hitch receiver on your 2006 Jeep Wrangler and want it to clear the rear spare tire you will need to measure from the center of the hitch pin hole on your hitch to the distance required to clear the spare tire.
If you have already measured that distance and you need 12 inches or more to clear your spare tire you will want to look at a bike rack that will have that clearance listed as the measurement from the hitch pin hole to the closest part of the bike rack. If you let me know the size of your hitch and how many bikes you are wanting to carry I can help you find a hitch bike rack with the correct measurement you will need.
If you have a hitch bike rack and you are trying to get it to clear your spare tire by extending it out away from the hitch, they do make hitch extenders for that purpose, like the etrailer Hitch Extender 8 Inch Long, part # e88YR. But, you will need to remember that when using a hitch extender, you will reduce the tongue weight capacity of your hitch by 50 per cent. So if your hitch is listed with a tongue weight capacity of 300 lbs, the extender will reduce that capacity to 150 lbs.
Another option you have would be to get a Yakima SpareRide 2 Bike Carrier, part # Y02599. This rack would mount to the spare tire of your Jeep and comes with different adapters to fit on a variety of spare tires ranging from widths of 7.7 inches to 12.5 inches. I am including a link to the installation instructions on the Yakima spare tire bike rack.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Hitch Adapters
- Hitch Extender
- Bike Racks
- Cargo Carriers
- Hitch Mounted Accessories
- 8 Inch Extension
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
- 3500 lbs
more information >
- Spare Tire Bike Racks
- Frame Mount - Anti-Sway
- 2 Bikes
- Bike and Rack Lock
- Dual Arm
- Hanging Rack
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Article: Hitch Adapters and Extenders
- Article: Ball Mount Basics: Weight Capacity, Class, and Size
- Article: Determining Trailer Tongue Weight
- Q&A: Possible Solution to Help Prevent Trailer Jackknifing
- Q&A: Troubleshooting A Brake Buddy Select 3 Breaking System That Keeps Locking Up The Brakes
- Q&A: Replacement Motor for Slide Out Motor with Part # 8532-18HT
- Q&A: Does Hidden Hitch 80232 Reduce Towing Capacity
- Q&A: Extended Ball Mount For Jeep Wrangler To Clear Oversized Spare Tire
- Q&A: Curt Trailer Wiring Availability for 2023 Kia Telluride
- Q&A: Safety of Using Hitch Extender and Other Options To Clear Spare Tire on Jeep Liberty
- Article: Which Hitches are Made in the USA
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit
- Article: Roadmaster Vehicle Specific Base Plates