Troubleshooting Rear Running Lights not Working on Catering Trailer
The rear running lights are not working on our catering trailer however every other light is....i have connected another trailer to my l200 so I know its not the vehicle as all lights worked so the problem is on our trailer...the whole trailer was rewired less than 6 months ago so cant understand what the problem is....is has been sat over winter so Im wondering is it just corrosion. The 7 pin plug did look rusty inside so I cleaned it all and still no running lights.....any ideas to the problem
asked by: Anthony C
You are definitely on the right train of thought. Wiring issues like the running lights not working is typically the results of some damaged wiring or a bad ground.
If you wanted to test your trailer you can take a 12V battery, like what is in your vehicle, and ground the Negative terminal while using the Positive terminal to test the pin in the 1 o'clock position on your trailer side 7-Way (see attached picture). If your running lights do not active when running this test then you definitely know that the problem is your trailer.
The next thing to do, since you already cleaned out the 7-Way, is to check all of the grounds on your trailer. Make sure they are clean and connected to a bare metal surface. Even some paint can cause issues.
Once that is done, if you are still having problems then you will want to check the wiring on your trailer. Looks for any places where the wires are bent, damaged, corroded, or exposed and replace. If it is on the running lights circuit you will want to use 16 Gauge Wire # 16-1-1 and Butt Connectors # DW05744-5.
If you are still having trouble after that, let me know and I can help you troubleshoot further.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Wire Connectors
- Butt Connectors
- 16-14 Gauge
more information >
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Q&A: Recommended Gauge of Wiring for Trailer Lights
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between the Blue Ox Patriot BRK2019 & BRK2022?
- Q&A: Recommended 7-Way Tester that is Compatible w/ Ram Factory Brake Controllers
- Q&A: Replacement Motor and Gear Box for Landing Gear # ADTH 1RV-200 on Keystone Everest
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Q&A: Replacement Brakes on a 3,000 lb. Axle
- Q&A: Correct Replacement Electric Trailer Brakes for a 3,000 Lb Trailer Axle
- Q&A: Troubleshooting A Dead Towed Vehicle Battery While Using The Blue Ox Patriot Braking System
- Article: The Best Towing Mirrors
- Article: How to Measure the Bolt Pattern of a Trailer Wheel
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)