Troubleshooting a Shorted Out T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness # 118325 on a 1996 Ford Ranger
I have the 5 to 4 trailer wiring adapter on my ranger but I am having issues. I dont get a left turn signal or left brake light on my trailer. I actually dont get the left turn signal or brake light at my trucks trailer connector either. I use my test light on the yellow wire before the 5 to 4 converter and it blinks just fine. The original adapter that was on the truck had this same problem so that is why I bought this new adapter. Same problem though. If it is good before the adapter but bad after, what could be the problem? Bad 118325 adapter?
asked by: Ryan
It sounds like the # 118325 might be bad since you checked the voltage before the unit and there was power but after there is not.
However, since this is the second one of these you have gone through it sounds like you might have a short somewhere on the trailer that is causing the # 118325 to short out and quit working.
I would recommend you go over your trailer wiring and check for any bad grounds, loose wires or corrosion and fix as necessary.
I attached installation instructions for the # 118325 as well as an FAQ article on trailer wiring for you to check out.
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Does Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch 13091 Require Drilling to Install on 2001 Ford Ranger
- Q&A: How to Install a 4-Way Trailer Connector on a 1994 Ford Ranger Truck
- Q&A: Recommended Trailer Hitch Receiver for 2004 Ford Ranger Edge
- Q&A: Distance from Mounting Surface to Bottom of Draw Tite Hitch part # 75082
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: Connecting Brake Controller Wiring on 2019 Chevy Express Van 3500
- Q&A: How To Install 7-way Connector On 2010 Chevy Express Van 3500 Without Factory 7-way Connector Plug
- Q&A: Using Trailer Lights on a 1997 Ford Ranger with Separate Turn Signals and Brake Lights
- Article: Best Boat Accessories
- Article: Towing a Trailer? Let's Talk About Brake Controllers
- Article: Troubleshooting 4 and 5-Way Wiring Installations
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: Breakaway Kit Installation for Single and Dual Brake Axle Trailers
- Article: Stability Control for Heavy Duty Vehicles