bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Recommended Adjustable Ball Mount for Use With Friction Sway Control Bars  


Hello, I bought a 1972 travel trailer that is about 16' long. The only problem is my pickup truck receptacle is about 5inch higher than the trailer hitch. Attached are 2 pictures of our hitch. I am Trying to figure out how to lower the ball hitch on the truck to the same level as the trailer hitch? The hitch that came with the old trailer both photos also has a hole on each side for the anti-sway bars to attach. We are hoping that you have a receptacle that will work for us? I looked at some of your dual-purpose hitches hitch3 image and your company representative indicated that the unit is not to be used with a trailer?


Expert Reply:

The photos did not come through but it sounds like you need a new ball mount to level the trailer while towing. In order to do this you will need to measure from the ground to the bottom of the coupler on the trailer while level and then subtract that measurement from the ground to the top of your hitch receiver opening. This will give you the correct amount of drop you will need to look for in a ball mount. I have also attached a help article that will walk you through this entire process as well.

The Roadmaster Dual Hitch Receiver Adapter part # RM-077-8 is indeed not designed to be used for towing a trailer as it is specifically designed to flat tow a vehicle. It is known as a high-low adapter and will not work for you. Instead, I recommend using the Convert-A-Ball Adjustable Ball Mount part # TK5007 which will work for you as long as you have a 2" trailer hitch receiver tube opening, your trailer weighs less than 5,000 lbs, and you do not require more than 10" of drop.

You can add the sway control tabs to each side using part # 3442. Please note that these tabs are weld on and will require an experienced welder for installation.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Continue Researching

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>