Recommendation to Relieve Pressure on Weight Distribution System
I have a 2006 Toyota Tundra 4x4 . I tow a 6100lbs camper with a dry hitch weight of 636lbs. There is some stuff in the front storage area and I also have firewood and bicycles or kayaks in the bed. I currently use a weight distribution hitch and it works but I have a lot of pressure on it. Would Summo springs help me? Which ones would I need light, medium, heavy duty? Thank you
asked by: Steve H
Adding a suspension enhancement system like the SumoSprings # SSR-610-40 that you referenced might help to relieve some of the pressure you are having to put on your weight distribution system, but the actual benefits will be pretty minimal. This is essentially because your properly rated WD system won't really allow the springs to even engage too much, since the system is already distributing your tongue weight to the truck and trailer. These two components can also actually work against each other, which is why we typically don't recommend both a WD system and suspension enhancement system at the same time for a towing setup.
If you feel like you are putting too much pressure on the system, a better option might be to simply upgrade the spring bars on the weight distribution system to a set that features a higher tongue weight capacity. The amount of pressure you are needing may indicate that the total tongue weight of your setup (which does include the kayaks, bikes, etc that you have loaded in the bed) may be pushing the limits of the system. Based on the picture you provided, it looks like the system is doing a fine job of keeping everything level, but your total tongue weight might be towards the high end of its capacity.
Ideally, the total tongue weight of your setup will fall somewhere near the middle of the operating range of your weight distribution system. If you can tell me what model weight distribution system you have, I will be happy to recommend some replacement spring bars that will upgrade its capacity and possibly offer a more comfortable range for your total tongue weight.
Your answer has been submitted!
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Recommended SumoSprings For A 2017 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3500 Dually Motorhome
- Recommended Rear Suspension Enhancement For Preventing Sway In 2016 Ford F-150 W/ Truck Bed Camper
- How to Minimize 2018 Toyota Tundra Sway While Towing a Heavy Trailer
- Suspension Enhancement for 2020 Toyota Tundra to Help with Ride Quality and Stability
- What is the Height of the SumoSprings Solo Custom Helper Springs # SSR-610-40
- Height of SumoSprings Campatible with 2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
- Suspension Enhancement Recommendation for a 2010 Toyota Tundra
- Recommended Suspension Enhancement for 2015 Nissan Frontier Towing 5,000 Pound Travel Trailer
- Option for SumoSprings on a 2016 Tundra with Aftermarket Suspension
- Differences Between SumoSprings Kits For 2020 Toyota Tundra
- Which SumoSpring Kit for 2017 Toyota Tundra
- Rear Suspension Enhancement Recommendation for a 2016 Toyota Tacoma
- SumoSprings Recommendation for a 2015 Toyota Tundra Towing 22 ft Camper with Dirt Bikes in Bed
- Suspension Enhancement Recommendation for 2003 Toyota Tundra
- Rear Helper Springs for a 2013 Toyota Tacoma
- How to Pick Out SumoSprings Suspension Enhancement for 2016 Ford F-250
- How Much Clearance Between SumoSprings # SSR-610-40 and Frame on an Unloaded 2015 Toyota Tundra
- Is There Any Advantage in Using SumoSprings With Weight Distribution on a 2016 Toyota Tacoma
- What Rear SumoSprings do You Recommend for My 2021 Toyota Tacoma 4x4?
- Color Choices of # SSR-610-40 Sumo Springs for 2011 Toyota Tundra
- Can the SuperSprings and SumoSprings Be Used Together On a 2007 Toyota Tundra
- What is the Torque Spec of the Factory U-Bolts on a 2011 Toyota Tacoma
- Which SumoSprings for 2006 Toyota Tundra Towing 4400-lbs Trailer and Carrying 600-lbs ATV in Bed
- Dimensions of Spring Included in SumoSprings Solo Custom Helper Spring Kit SSR-610-40
- Recommended Suspension Enhancement to Level 2016 Toyota Tacoma when Towing Trailer
- Jounce Bumper Suspension Enhancement Recommendation for a 2015 Toyota Tacoma
- SumoSprings Fit for 2017 Toyota Tacoma
- 2004 Toyota Tundra Sumo Springs with RoadActive Suspension
- Best Suspension Enhancement for 2021 Toyota Tundra