Is Fascia Trimming Required for Trailer Hitch Installation on a 2011 Jeep Patriot
Hi there, Im looking to purchase a hitch for my 2011 Jeep Patriot but i seem to be getting conflicting information. Ive heard you need to cut part of the fascia in order to install a hitch yet i also read no trimming is required, which one is it? All i need is a simple hitch so i can put a bike rack on it, specifically a Yakima double down 4. I was looking at the Draw-tite hitch, code # 36423. I dont want to have to trim anything as i dont have the tools to be able to do this. I took pictures of the cars bodywork where the hitch would go so if that will help let me know and i can attach them to an email and send them your way. If i can get feedback on this issue id appreciate it, thanks a lot.
asked by: Wes
When I enter your 2011 Jeep Patriot into our fit guide, I show that all of the available hitches (see link to the options) require fascia trimming. The 2011 models have a 2 inch vertical fascia that will interfere with hitch installation.
Trimming is not as difficult as you might think, and you may have the tools you need already. You can use a utility knife to score the trim lines and aviator shears to make the 2 inch long cut on each side. Then, it is just a matter of bending the now cut piece of fascia until it comes off. Sand of the rough edges and that part will be complete.
Since you want to carry a 4 bike rack, I recommend going with a Class III hitch, Draw-Tite # 75712, because it has a higher capacity than a Class II hitch and can better handle the stress. I have included a link to the installation instructions that also show where the trimming needs to occur.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Trailer Hitch
- Custom Fit Hitch
- Class III
- 525 lbs TW
- 3500 lbs GTW
- 2 Inch Hitch
- Concealed Cross Tube
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: Can a 1-1/4 Inch Bike Rack be Used in a 2 Inch Trailer Hitch Receiver
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Q&A: What Is The Difference In A Grease Seal Labeled 171255TB and A Seal Labeled 171255VB
- Q&A: How Does Replacement Operator Mechanism for MaxxAir MaxxFan Plus MA10-20281K-1AF Install
- Q&A: Light To Replace Older Reflecto Light 110-150 On Travel Trailer
- Q&A: Is Trimming Required to Install the Draw-Tite Class II Trailer Hitch # 36423 on a 2014 Jeep Patriot
- Q&A: Bike Rack Recommendations for 2 Bikes and Bike Trailer
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: Ball Mount Basics: Weight Capacity, Class, and Size
- Article: 5 Things to Know About Weight Distribution Hitches