Installing Timbren Axle-Less Suspension System on Older Trailer
Sailplane trailer renovation... My existing trailer is a German-made ie, metric single axle, 2000lb GVW. Old, no longer made, no spares. Trailer is 30foot long, bed is 45inch wide, 48inch high, good square tube framing. Axle is slightly back of center 13.5 ft from tail, driving almost always causes trailer to porpoise on bumps. Looking at 2 sets 1200 lb Timbren # A12WS545 to replace single axle. Q: How far apart fore-aft can each set be from the other to better support this very long bed, offering some level of flotationh on rougher roads? Q: Can these be adjusted for stiff/smooth ride? Q: Can these be adjusted for amount of rise/ deflection? Mostly smooth surface roads, but occasional gravel, washboard. Trailer weighs 800 lbs empty, sailplane is only 500 lbs, add 200 lbs accessories etc. Neighbor is professional welder, so install looks straight forward. Your comments and recommendations appreciated.
asked by: Kelly F
Helpful Expert Reply:
The Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System # A12WS545 referenced in your question can certainly be installed on your older trailer to replace its single axle. The suspension units will fit any frame width and they feature a weight capacity of 1,200 pounds. They cannot really be adjusted but because of how they are designed, they will definitely provide a smoother, quieter ride than what you have gotten used to. The AEON progressive-rate springs will also absorb road shock and better support your trailer's load. They will have a deflection of 2-1/8 inches.
In order to determine where the suspension units should be installed on the trailer, both in relation to each other and to the trailer tongue, there are some measurements you will need to take and a simple formula that can be used. I have attached an article that explains exactly this process, which will help you to safely position the Timbren Suspension System on the trailer.
I have attached a short installation video that you can also use for reference.
Your answer has been submitted!
Video/Article/FAQ this Question was Asked FromArticle or Video
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Timbren Axle-Less Suspension for 10,000 Pound Mobile Hydraulic Lift
- Wheel Recommendation for Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System # A12WS545
- Can I Use Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System with Hubs on my Boat Trailer
- Can Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension Rubber Springs Be Replaced to Increase Weight Rating
- Dimensions of Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension # A12WS545 For Utility and Motorcycle Trailer
- How Much Clearance Is Needed For Tires When Installing Timbren Axle-Less System Under Trailer
- Replacement Grease Seal for the Timbren Axle Less System part # A12WS545
- Available Weight Capacities for Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension Kits
- Comparing The Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System To The FlexiRide Half Torsion Axle System
- Is The Timbren Axle-Less Suspension System Equipped For Use On Highway
- Timbren Axle-Less Suspension System for a Tear Drop Trailer Build
- Replacement Hub Assembly for Timbren Axle-Less System # A12WS545
- Timbren Axle-Less System Recommendation for a Tear Style Trailer Towing 500 lbs Max
- Can Built-In Camber be Adjusted on Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System with Hubs
- How Much Does the Axleless Timbren Suspension System A12WS545 Compress When Loaded
- Is There a Timbren Axle Less Kit Setup that Fits Jeep Wheel Bolt Pattern 5 on 5 inch
- Recommended Axle for a Trailer and Cargo Weighing 800 lbs
- Timbren Axle Less System for 2k Axle Replacement with 5 on 4-1/2 inch Hubs and Off Road Config
- Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension for Utility Trailer
- Timbren Axle Less Kit with Hubs Recommendation for Small Trailer Towed by Chevy Tracker
- Recommended Axle-Less System and Wheel/Tire Combo for a Light Boat Trailer
- Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension and Hubs with 5 on 5 Bolt Pattern
- Will a Kenda 215/60-8 Bias Trailer Tire and Wheel Fit the Timbren Axle-Less System part # A12WS545
- Wall Thickness Recommendation for Square Tubing Support For Timbren Axle-Less Suspension
- Can Metric Studs Be Substituted In Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System With Hubs
- Would Taskmaster 4.80-12 Tire White Mod Wheel Fit on a Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System
- Compatibility of Timbren Axle-Less Suspension on Boat Trailer
- Does 1,200 lb Timbren Axle Less System Require Frame Cross Beam