Determining Tongue Weight to Choose Weight Distribution System
Is listed tongue weight given on the manufacturers spec for the camper account for an extra battery, filled propane tanks, and changing from 20 pound tanks to 30. Specs list camper I am going to purchase as having 535 tongue weight but I am adding the battery and changing tanks. Old camper has tongue weight of 336 on their spec sheet and spring bar with one small round bump. Should I buy next level up bars?
asked by: Dan S
For weight distribution you want it to be rated to handle the tongue weight of your trailer when it's loaded. The tongue weight listed the trailer's spec sheet is always going to be its dry tongue weight because the loaded tongue weigth varies depending on how much is loaded and how it's loaded. In addition you also need to add in any weight that's stored in the back of your tow vehicle behind the rear axle because this acts as tongue weight on a weight distribution system. Ultimately, you want your loaded trailer's tongue weight and the weight behind the tow vehicle's rear axle added together to fall in the middle of the system's range.
I recommend you load your trailer like you're going to be towing it and weigh it using a tongue weight scale, part # e99044, or one of the other methods outlined in the attached article so you know exactly what it is. Then add in the weight behind the vehicle's rear axle to determine which system you need.
If you can give me the weights once you find them I'd be happy to make a recomendation on a system for you.
Your answer has been submitted!
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Is There a Tongue Weight Scale For Trailers Under 1000-lbs
- When Do You Measure The Trailer Tongue Weight For Setting Up Weight Distribution On Imagine 3100RD?
- Tongue Weight Scale for Scamp 16 Camper
- What Does Trailer Tongue Weight Scale Weigh
- Is Weight Distribution System Needed for 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Towing Cherokee Wolf Pup
- How to Determine When Trailer Weight Distribution System is Needed
- How to Choose Correct Weight Distribution Hitch
- How to Use etrailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Shank Diameter of Trailer Ball Included With etrailer e99044 Tongue Weight Scale
- Does etrailer Tongue Weight Scale for Campers and Utility Trailers # e99044 Need Calibration
- Accuracy of etrailer Tongue Weight Scale for Campers and Utility Trailers
- Is it Ok to Use an etrailer.com e99044 if There is an Air Bubble in the Gauge?
- Does the Plug on the etrailer Tongue Weight Scale Need to be Perforated
- Can the etrailer Tongue Weight Scale Be Stored In Sub-Zero Temperatures?
- How to Properly Weigh my Trialer to not Exceed my Vehicles Towing Weight Rating
- How to Select Weight Distribution System Spring Bars to Match Measured Trailer Tongue Weight
- Etrailer Tongue Weight Scale VS. Sherline Tongue Weight Scale
- Determining Weight Distribution System Requirements Based on Trailer Loaded Tongue Weight
- What is Trailer Tongue Weight & How Can it be Measured
- How to Store etrailer Tongue Weight Scale e99044
- Margin of Error for the etrailer Trailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Solution for Sway Control When Towing Boat Trailer with 2011 Chevy Avalanche
- Is 560 lbs a Good Tongue Weight on a 2,820 lb Boat Trailer
- Can Block be Used Under etrailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Availability Of Trailer Tongue Weight Scale
- How to Determine Tongue Weight with Weight Distribution System Connected
- How Stable Is Horse Trailer On The Road Since Axles Are So Far Back?
- How to Measure Loaded Trailer Tongue Weight
- Recommendation of How To Use a Sherline Scale with a Hensley Weight Distribution Hitch and Stinger