How to Replace a 4-Way Trailer Connector with 8 Wires
Hello - I am replacing the lights on my Karavan Seadoo trailer. I cut the lamp assemblies off and I wanted to replace the f pinnflat connector as it got road burn. I noticed the kit I ordered comes with new wiring however I was planning on just splicing the tail lights in and connector. The four pin flat I cut off has seven wires and the one it came with has four. Am I able to connect all the whites and all the browns together to make the four wire work with the existing wiring on the trailer? Thank you for your help.
asked by: James
A 4-way trailer connector will have four functions which means it will also have four wires for the exception of wishbone harnesses. These four functions are ground, tail light, right turn, and left turn. The ground function will usually be represented with a white wire, the tail light function will usually be represented with a brown wire, the right turn signal will usually be represented with a green wire, and the left turn signal will usually be represented with a yellow wire.
From the looks of the photo you submitted, instead of all the like functions being spliced together and then run to the trailer connector using a single wire, they were all ran to the trailer connector separately. When installing the new lights on your trailer you will want to splice together all like functions and then run a single wire for each function to the trailer connector.
In order to slice the new wires together I recommend using the Deka Heat Shrink Butt Connector part # DW05743-10 as the heat shrink body will work to keep out moisture. I have attached our wiring help article for you as well.
Your answer has been submitted!
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- How Do I Wire LED Flood Lights on My Camper to Use When Backing Up?
- Is Heat Shrink Tubing Included in Deka Butt Connector DW05743-10
- Recommended Wire Connector Used To Attach Lights On Boat Trailer
- Driver and Passenger Side 3-Wire Submersible Incandescent Trailer Tail Lights
- Best Way To Connect Multi Wires and Lights on a Boat Trailer
- Wiring Installation Kit To Properly Disconnect and Reconnect Wiring
- Wire Connector Recommendation for 20 Gauge Wire on Trailer
- Can Hair Dryer Be Used For Deka Heat Shrink Butt Connectors
- Can a 4-Way Flat Harness With Full Length Ground Wires Be Used In Place Of Grounding To Frame?
- Gauge of Butt Connector to Use with Wesbar Submersible Trailer Light
- Replacement Trailer Taillights for Trailstar Boat Trailer
- Should The Plug-In Connector On The Furrion Camera Fully Plug Into The Wiring Harness Connector
- Replacing 4-Way Connector on Trailer with 8 Wires
- Best Replacement For Jensen MP5000 RV Radio
- Wire Gauge and Wire Colors for LED Combination Tail Light Kit TLL56RK
- What Gauge Wiring Is Used On Malone EcoLight Sport Trailer MAL53FR?
- Best Connector for Installing the 18-Gauge 2-Wire Bonded Wire
- Wire Gauge Of Optronics LED Combination Trailer Tail Lights TLL16RK
- Wiring Scheme for Drive DVD player
- Weathertight Wiring Plug and Stainless Steel Bracket for 4 GloLight LED Trailer Tail Light
- Converting 1997 Dutchman 6-Way Square to 4-Way Flat
- LED Trailer Light Kit for Utility Trailers Under 80" With Amber Marker Lights
- What Is Wire Size For Parts And Recommended Connectors
- Installation of Optronics TLL12RK LED Trailer Taillights
- Installation Process for Optronics Light Guide LED Backup Light for Truck/Trailer
- Replacement Tail Lights for an EZ Loader Boat Trailer
- Trailer Wiring Harness Installation Location at the Back of a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder
- Recommended 4-Way Wishbone Trailer Wiring Harness for Boat Trailer
- Recommended Simplest Conversion for Trailer 4-Way Flat to 5-Way for Surge Brake Lockout & Jeep 7-Way