What Does the Towing Capacity of a Truck Mean and How to you Weigh a Trailer
When I read towing capacity is so many lbs in my case for SR5 Toyota, 10,400lbs, That means the weight at the hitch, yes, not the overall weight of what it is that I am pulling e.g. a livestock trailer loaded with cattle? But how would I measure the weight at that particular point?
asked by: Todd A
A vehicle will have several capacities related to towing. There is the gross trailer weight rating which is the most that the trailer can weigh. There is the gross combined weight rating which is the most the truck and trailer can weigh together. And there is tongue weight capacity which is the most amount of weight that can be suspended from the trailer hitch receiver on the vehicle.
If your truck has a towing capacity of 10,400 pounds (confirm using the owner's manual) then that is the most that the trailer can weigh. The trailer hitch may or may not be rated that high. The hitch will have its capacity on it somewhere usually on a sticker. Which ever has the lower rating, the hitch or the vehicle, is the capacity that you will need to go by.
You can measure tongue weight using a scale such as # e99044 or by following a method in the help article I have linked. The last entry in that help article shows how you can measure the weight of a trailer.
Your answer has been submitted!
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Is There a Tongue Weight Scale For Trailers Under 1000-lbs
- When Do You Measure The Trailer Tongue Weight For Setting Up Weight Distribution On Imagine 3100RD?
- Tongue Weight Scale for Scamp 16 Camper
- What Does Trailer Tongue Weight Scale Weigh
- Is Weight Distribution System Needed for 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Towing Cherokee Wolf Pup
- How to Determine When Trailer Weight Distribution System is Needed
- Determining Tongue Weight to Choose Weight Distribution System
- How to Choose Correct Weight Distribution Hitch
- How to Use etrailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Shank Diameter of Trailer Ball Included With etrailer e99044 Tongue Weight Scale
- Does etrailer Tongue Weight Scale for Campers and Utility Trailers # e99044 Need Calibration
- Accuracy of etrailer Tongue Weight Scale for Campers and Utility Trailers
- Is it Ok to Use an etrailer.com e99044 if There is an Air Bubble in the Gauge?
- Does the Plug on the etrailer Tongue Weight Scale Need to be Perforated
- Can the etrailer Tongue Weight Scale Be Stored In Sub-Zero Temperatures?
- How to Properly Weigh my Trialer to not Exceed my Vehicles Towing Weight Rating
- How to Select Weight Distribution System Spring Bars to Match Measured Trailer Tongue Weight
- Etrailer Tongue Weight Scale VS. Sherline Tongue Weight Scale
- Determining Weight Distribution System Requirements Based on Trailer Loaded Tongue Weight
- What is Trailer Tongue Weight & How Can it be Measured
- How to Store etrailer Tongue Weight Scale e99044
- Margin of Error for the etrailer Trailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Solution for Sway Control When Towing Boat Trailer with 2011 Chevy Avalanche
- Is 560 lbs a Good Tongue Weight on a 2,820 lb Boat Trailer
- Can Block be Used Under etrailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Availability Of Trailer Tongue Weight Scale
- How to Determine Tongue Weight with Weight Distribution System Connected
- How Stable Is Horse Trailer On The Road Since Axles Are So Far Back?
- How to Measure Loaded Trailer Tongue Weight
- Recommendation of How To Use a Sherline Scale with a Hensley Weight Distribution Hitch and Stinger