SportRack Spare Tire Mount Bike Rack Will Not Clear Oversized Spare Tire on 2011 Jeep Wrangler
Hi etrailer.com, I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler with an oversized rear-tire and because of this my Sportrack 3-bike rack will not fit on the car. I believe that the additional length provided from the Spare Tire Plate B for Saris Freedom Spare Tire Bike Rack will provide enough clearance for the main body of the Sportrack rack to fit. The question is, is the mounting plate of the Saris rack, and the rack component of the Sportrack compatible? If not, is there any way to modify the Sportrack rack to fit on my vehicle?
asked by: Michael
The Saris "B" plate for their spare tire mount bike racks is not a confirmed fit for the SportRack bike rack. Your best option to carry bikes on your 2011 Jeep Wrangler is to use a trailer hitch and a bike rack that will extend out far enough to clear the spare tire.
If your Jeep does not already have a hitch I recommend etrailer hitch # e98856 because with it the receiver sticks out further than other hitches making it more likely for bike racks to clear the spare tire. Once the hitch is installed you can measure from the center of the pin hole back to the rear edge of the spare to see how far a bike rack will have to extend out to clear the spare.
The Thule Hitching Post Pro # TH934XTR is a popular rack and it measures 13-1/2 inches from the center of the hitch pin hole to the back of the upright mast. It has one of the longest shanks available. I have linked a video review of it for you.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Trailer Hitch
- Custom Fit Hitch
- Class III
- 500 lbs TW
- 5000 lbs GTW
- 5000 lbs WD GTW
- 2 Inch Hitch
- 500 lbs WD TW
- No Cross Tube
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit
- Article: Best Bike Racks for Electric Bikes
- Article: How to Choose a Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack
- Article: Rooftop Cargo Carriers
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack for an SUV or Crossover
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Q&A: How to Tell if 2023 Lexus RX 350 Exhaust Needs to Be Lowered to Install Curt Trailer Hitch
- Q&A: Best Roof Rack For 2023 Kia Sportage With Flush Rails For Rooftop Tent
- Q&A: Thule Camber vs Thule Hitching Post Pro
- Q&A: What Are the Differences Between the Kuat Piston Pro and Piston Pro X Bike Racks
- Q&A: Hitch Pin Hole To Face Measurement For The etrailer Trailer Hitch Receiver # e98855
- Q&A: 4 Bike Rack Recommendation for Use at Rear of Motorhome and Flat Towed Ford F-150