bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Type of Spindle Washer Used on Boat Trailer Spindle with a Notch/Slot on Spindle  


I have acquired a used boat trailer for my pontoon boat. When I tried to replaced the hubs, I found there was no hole through the end of the spindle to a cotter pin through. What the spindle has is a notch or slot cut into the bottom part of the spindle end. The previous installation had the castle nut screwed in and then the cotter pin was inserted between the notches in the castle nut in a way that the cotter pin went into the notch/slot and then over the castle nut notch on the opposite side of the spindle. I have never seen this kind of spindle/cotter pin approach and wondered if you had any info our comments on this setup and how I should approach this.


Expert Reply:

Actually what you have is pretty standard. It's a tang washer setup. We have the part # 5-101 or part # 5-71 which are similar styles. I attached a picture of what the part # 5-101 is designed to fit.

expert reply by:
Jameson C
click to enlarge

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Continue Researching

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>