bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Recommended Complete Flat Tow System for 2013-2014 Ram 1500


What parts do you recommend to flat tow a 2013-2014 Ram 1500?


Expert Reply:

For your 2013 or 2014 Ram 1500, the first thing you need for your flat towing set-up is the baseplate. I recommend the Roadmaster EZ5 Base Plate Kit # RM-52289-5 unless you have the Sport or Express model in which case I recommend the Roadmaster MX Base Plate Kit # RM-298-3.

Then for your tow bar I recommend the Roadmaster Nighthawk All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar w/ LED Lights # RM-676. This tow bar comes with a wiring connection from 7-way to 6-way and has LEDs for better visibility. It also includes the necessary safety cables. I recommend a hitch lock like # e98880 to secure your tow bar and you also may want to consider a cover like # RM-055-3 for storage and the Roadmaster Tow Defender Protective Screening # RM-4750 to keep debris from your truck.

For your vehicle wiring, I recommend the Roadmaster Universal Hy-Power Diode Wiring Kit # RM-152 which will use your vehicle wiring while protecting it and will connect to the 6-way that comes with the Nighthawk tow bar. I also recommend using the charge line kit # RM-156-25 to maintain your vehicle battery while towing.

For your braking system, I recommend the SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System # SM99251. This system will apply the vehicle brakes at the same time and with the same intensity as you hit the brake pedal in your motorhome. It requires no adjustment after the initial setup at installation so it becomes a plug and play system.

You will also need a stop light switch system to activate your RV monitoring system and alert you when the brakes are being applied on your truck. For this there are a few options based on your pedals and shifter:

Models without adjustable pedals and without electronic shifter use # RM-751460
Models with adjustable pedals and with electronic shifter use # RM-751468
Models with adjustable pedals and without electronic shifter use # RM-751461
Models without adjustable pedals and with electronic shifter use # RM-751467

The final thing you will need is a high-low adapter. This is motorhome and vehicle specific so you will need to do some measuring for the correct fit. I've attached an article to assist and have linked the page to your options as well.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>