bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Suspension Enhancement Options for a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 8 Foot Bed


I dont carry alot of weight. I needed the 8bed for tools and sheet goods. The truck is a 2005 doge ram 2500. Can I pull out some springs and add the air assistance and get a softer ride. Can I still plow if I do this


Expert Reply:

Any of the suspension enhancement products we carry or for use on a vehicle with a stock suspension that is in good working order. The removal of springs would make it not a full suspension and would be considered as not in good working order.

However, adding a system will help with a smoother ride and you will not have to remove any suspension components at all. Basically, there are 2 different types of kits. The first one is if you carry the same type of load all of the time and it does not vary in weight much. The second is for varying loads where you may need to level the truck bed side to side.

In the interest of having a smoother ride, I think you would be better off with the first type, even though it sounds like you will carry varying loads. Take a look at the Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System, # TDR2500CA. This is a rear kit and it will help with rear end sag, roll stability, and prevent bottoming out. I have included a link to the installation details and a video showing a typical installation.

If you decide to go with air springs, use # F2299. With this kit, you can position the air valve so that you can fill it or take out air at an air pump or you can add a Level Command Kit. There are two types, # F2097, will allow you to adjust the pressure to both springs at the same time. To adjust the springs independently of each other, # F2219 is the one for you.

I have included a link to our suspension enhancement FAQ articles for you and links to the instructions for both types of kits listed above.

If you have a front mount plow, you would benefit from a similar Timbren system for the front. For 4 wheel drive, use # TDF25004B. And for 2 wheel drive, use # TDDF974A.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>