Tail Light Wire Colors on Trailer Do Not Match Wire Colors on New Tail Lights
bought a set of these, went to install and wire color on trailer does not match lights trailer had red/brown D.S trailer has brown/green P.S lights are brown green brown yellow What wire goes where???
asked by: Gino
The easiest way to determine the functions of the trailer wires is to plug in the trailer to a tow vehicle and have someone operate the vehicle lights while you test the wires with a circuit tester such as # PTW2993. Once you have identified the wire functions you can connect them to the lights in kit # TLL160RK. There isn't exactly a standard for trailer wiring so the definitive way of finding out wire function is to test like this.
On the lights a brown input indicates a running/taillight circuit. Yellow is left turn signal and brake lights. Green is right turn signal and brake lights. The white wire is the ground.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Electrical Tools
- Circuit Tester
- Performance Tool
more information >
- Q&A: LED Light On Curt Echo Not Lighting Up Or Pairing To Phone
- Q&A: Curt Echo Brake Controller Will Not Pair To Phone With Working Bluetooth Connection
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Q&A: Replacement Taillight Solution for Lens Number S2T216AP2
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Testing Trailer Brake Magnets for Proper Function
- Article: Most Popular Wheel Bearings
- Q&A: Can Red Identification Light Bar be Used as Marker & Reverse Lights
- Q&A: Replacement Lens for Optronics Tail Light S2T216AP2
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 5-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: Where is the Brake Switch Wire on a 2014 GMC Savana Van to Install a Brake Controller
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between Over 80 inch and Under 80 inch Trailer Tail Lights
- Article: Trailer Maintenance Schedule
- Article: Overview of Lubricating Grease