How to Determine Tongue Weight to Choose a Weight Distribution System
If the tongue weight dry is 600 lbs would it be ok for the 1000 lbs bars. Considering added weight of camping gear in the trailer and the truck? Dont know how i would be able to figure tongue weight loaded. And what is the effects of a heaver bar than what is actually needed? Thanks Jeff
asked by: Jeff
With 600 pounds of dry tongue weight the 1,000 pound weight distribution spring bars are likely going to be okay but that's not enough information to be sure. You need to find the trailer's loaded tongue weight. There's a few different ways to do this which are explained in the help article I attached.
The easiest is using a tongue weight scale, part # e99044, and weighing the trailer's tongue after you've loaded it. Then, in order to choose a correct weight distribution system, you need to add any weight stored behind the rear axle of your tow vehicle. Weight distribuiton systems have a weight rating range and you want your final number to fall within this range. The closer to the middle of the system's range the better.
Your answer has been submitted!
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Is There a Tongue Weight Scale For Trailers Under 1000-lbs
- When Do You Measure The Trailer Tongue Weight For Setting Up Weight Distribution On Imagine 3100RD?
- Tongue Weight Scale for Scamp 16 Camper
- What Does Trailer Tongue Weight Scale Weigh
- Is Weight Distribution System Needed for 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Towing Cherokee Wolf Pup
- How to Determine When Trailer Weight Distribution System is Needed
- Determining Tongue Weight to Choose Weight Distribution System
- How to Choose Correct Weight Distribution Hitch
- How to Use etrailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Shank Diameter of Trailer Ball Included With etrailer e99044 Tongue Weight Scale
- Does etrailer Tongue Weight Scale for Campers and Utility Trailers # e99044 Need Calibration
- Accuracy of etrailer Tongue Weight Scale for Campers and Utility Trailers
- Is it Ok to Use an etrailer.com e99044 if There is an Air Bubble in the Gauge?
- Does the Plug on the etrailer Tongue Weight Scale Need to be Perforated
- Can the etrailer Tongue Weight Scale Be Stored In Sub-Zero Temperatures?
- How to Properly Weigh my Trialer to not Exceed my Vehicles Towing Weight Rating
- How to Select Weight Distribution System Spring Bars to Match Measured Trailer Tongue Weight
- Etrailer Tongue Weight Scale VS. Sherline Tongue Weight Scale
- Determining Weight Distribution System Requirements Based on Trailer Loaded Tongue Weight
- What is Trailer Tongue Weight & How Can it be Measured
- How to Store etrailer Tongue Weight Scale e99044
- Margin of Error for the etrailer Trailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Solution for Sway Control When Towing Boat Trailer with 2011 Chevy Avalanche
- Is 560 lbs a Good Tongue Weight on a 2,820 lb Boat Trailer
- Can Block be Used Under etrailer Tongue Weight Scale
- Availability Of Trailer Tongue Weight Scale
- How to Determine Tongue Weight with Weight Distribution System Connected
- How Stable Is Horse Trailer On The Road Since Axles Are So Far Back?
- How to Measure Loaded Trailer Tongue Weight
- Recommendation of How To Use a Sherline Scale with a Hensley Weight Distribution Hitch and Stinger