bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Parts Needed to Flat Tow a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the Even Brake System # RM-9400


I have a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited that I am wanting to flat tow. I have the Even Brake from towing my older Jeep but aside from that I would need everything else. There are D-Rings on my front bumper.


Expert Reply:

The parts needed to flat tow your 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited include a base plate kit, tow bar, safety cables, vehicle tow bar wiring, a supplemental braking system, and possibly a high-low adapter.

Since you have D-Rings on your front bumper you will need an adapter like part # RM-035 or part # RM-035-1 for 3/4" or 1" thick D-Rings respectively. These allow you to then use a tow bar like the recommended Falcon All Terrain # RM-522 that features a non-binding design and safety cables like part # RM-643. You do want to check with the manufacturer of your front bumper to ensure that it is rated for flat towing.

Then for wiring I recommend going with the Flexo-Coil Wiring Kit # RM-15267. I like this kit because it is very easy to set up after the initial install plus you can install the Charge Line Kit # RM-156-25 to keep your battery charged. This is a great feature especially since you will be using the Roadmaster Even Brake # RM-9400.

We do have the 2nd Vehicle Kit # RM-98400 for the Even Brake which gives you all of the parts needed to swap the unit from one Jeep to the other easily (if you still have your older Jeep). You also may want to install the 12 Volt Outlet Kit # RM-9332 to have a dedicated outlet just for the Even Brake.

Most flat towing setups require a high-low adapter for the tow bar to remain level while towing. I have linked our selection of adapters for you to check out as well as an article that will help you determine which is the best one for your application.

Attached are some videos for you to reference, but you will also need to check your owner's manual for any specific instructions for flat towing your Wrangler Unlimited.

expert reply by:
Jon G

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>