How to Power a Supplemental Braking System with a 2013 Chevrolet Spark
If we plug in a braking system to toads accessory plug and turn key to accessory, wont that run down the toads battery when towing? 2013 Chevy Spark manual says to turn key to accessory for flat towing. If we disconnect battery, would we be getting power for the breaking system?
asked by: Linda
For starters, only the models equipped with a manual transmission can be flat-towed in regards to your 2013 Chevrolet Spark. If you have an automatic transmission then you will need to dolly tow the vehicle. If you are using a supplemental braking system that plugs into the 12 volt power outlet (cigarette lighter) like the Blue Ox Patriot Radio Frequency Portable Braking System part # BLU37TR then you are going to want to use the 12 Volt Outlet Kit part # RM-9332.
I am not certain as to whether or not the 12 volt power outlet still has power when the key is in the accessory position, you would need to call the dealer to confirm but if the battery is disconnected or the 12 volt power outlet loses power you will be covered with the 12 Volt Outlet Kit.
In order to prevent the supplement braking system from draining the vehicle's battery, you will want to run a charge line from the motorhome's battery to the vehicle's battery with the Roadmaster Battery Charge Line Kit for Towed Vehicles part # RM-156-25.
I have attached install videos on these parts for you as well.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Tow Bar Braking Systems
- Brake Systems
- Proportional System
- Recurring Set-Up
- Portable System
- Not Power Assist Brake Compatible
- Air Brakes
- Air Over Hydraulic Brakes
- Hydraulic Brakes
- Blue Ox
more information >
- Accessories and Parts
- Tow Bar Wiring
- Battery Charge Line Kit
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Flat Towing Package for 2020 Jeep Wrangler
- Article: Flat Towing Package for 2007-2018 JK Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited
- Article: Must-Have Flat Towing Components
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: How to Choose a High-Low Adapter
- Q&A: Troubleshooting A 12v Outlet That's Melting When Charging An Igloo Iceless Cooler
- Q&A: Choosing Between the Brake Buddy Select 3 and the Blue Ox Patriot Supplemental Braking System
- Article: Roadmaster Vehicle Specific Base Plates
- Q&A: 12V Cigarette Lighter Kit Recommendation for a 2024 GMC Sierra 2500
- Q&A: How to Power Blue Ox Patriot When Vehicle Has to Have Battery Disconnected
- Q&A: What Is The Max AMP Draw Of The Blue Ox Patriot Supplemental Braking System
- Q&A: Does Blue Ox Patriot Braking System Drain Vehicle Battery
- Article: Best Vehicles to Flat Tow Behind an RV
- Q&A: Comparing the Blue Ox Patriot 2 and Patriot BLU37TR Portable Braking Systems