bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Hitch Extension for Use With Truck Camper


I need a hitch extension to go under my slide-in pickup camper. Looks like an 18 inch extension will work. I will be pulling a small trailer bed size 50X10 with a Polaris 570 RZR on the trailer. The RZR weighs about 1050 lbs. Question: Should I be looking for an 18 inch extension that uses chains to the corners of my truck hitch? Thanks for your help.


Expert Reply:

By extension that "uses chains to the corners of my truck hitch" I assume you are talking about an extender such as the TorkLift SuperTruss Hitch Extension # TLE1521 which attaches like in the accompanying photo.

The SuperTruss extenders that use chains are only fits for TorkLift SuperHitch dual-receiver trailer hitches so these would only fit if you had one of those on your truck.

As for 18" hitch extenders such as the Curt # C45796, there are none we carry which use chains that attach to the corner of your truck. It is also very important to note that it has a capacity of 350 lbs tongue weight and 3,500 lbs towing OR they will reduce the capacity of your trailer hitch by 50 percent, whichever is lower.

So if your current hitch is rated for 600 lbs tongue weight and 6,000 lbs of towing, using the Curt # C45796 will reduce it to 300 lbs of tongue weight and 3,000 lbs towing.

click to enlarge
expert reply by:
Kyle S

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>