bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Can a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4WD be Flat Towed?


How do I know if the Jeep cherokee 2015 Trailhawk 4wd has a 2 speed transfer case? It is just described as having a 9 speed transmission


Expert Reply:

Your 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4WD can be flat towed if you have the 2 speed transfer case. This differs from the single speed power transfer unit because it has a neutral position. The neutral (N) selection button is adjacent to the 4WD selector switch. If you have this neutral position you are good to flat tow, if you do not then recreational towing is not allowed.

You can find this information on page 596 of the online owners manual. If you have the neutral option on your power transfer case, then you can flat tow it 4 wheels down with the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in Park. I've attached a photo to assist.

If you have the 2 speed case, then I recommend the following parts for your system:

I recommend starting with the Roadmaster EZ5 Base Plate Kit - Removable Arms # RM-521446-5 and then using the Roadmaster Falcon 2 Tow Bar # RM-520. Along with this use safety cables # RM-643.

Then for your tow bar wiring I recommend the Roadmaster Diode 7-Wire to 6-Wire Flexo-Coil Wiring Kit # RM-15267 which will utilize your factory wiring while protecting your electronics. You will also need brake light relay # RM-88400 for communication with your supplemental braking system. Then for your braking system I recommend the Roadmaster InvisiBrake Supplemental Braking System # RM-8700 which will be kept in your Jeep at all times so you will always be ready to tow. You will also need the Roadmaster Stop Light Switch Kit # RM-751471 for this application.

There are a few installation notes that you will want to be aware of with this vehicle. First, Jeep issued a tech bulletin (08-010-17) stating that their factory wiring kit 68321424AB is required when flat towing. This is only available at Dodge, Chrylser or Jeep dealers. Also, some models of the Jeep Cherokee may use Mortorq® fasteners. If your vehicle has these types of fasteners you will need a PFMTS2E bit to remove them, which can be ordered through a Snap-On dealer.

Finally, you will need a high-low adapter. For the correct fit, you will need to do some measuring and I've attached an article to assist. I've also linked the page to your options to assist.

click to enlarge
click to enlarge
expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>