Installing an Aftermarket Trailer Hitch on a 2014 Subaru Forester with Factory Trailer Hitch
Do I need to order a new crash bar? Has anyone one else done this. I have a nice Kuat NV 2.0 rack I want to make use of on our forester. It requires a 2foot inch receiver. The oem hitch needs to go.
asked by: Matthew
Helpful Expert Reply:
We have not yet had a chance to install a trailer hitch on a 2014 Subaru Forester with a factory trailer hitch but I took a look at how one installs and as you mentioned it does replace the rear bumper beam. Therefore, it would be smart to go ahead and add this back on when switching out the factory trailer hitch for an aftermarket one since the aftermarket one installs in a different location. The most cost effective way to do this is to go to a local junk yard to obtain the rear bumper beam.
The aftermarket trailer hitch I recommend for your 2014 Subaru Forester is the Draw-Tite Max-Frame Trailer Hitch Receiver part # 76182 which has a 2" receiver tube opening. I like this hitch because only the receiver tube is visible similar to your factory hitch. This will then allow you to use your Kuat NV 2.0 2-Bike Platform Rack without issue. I have attached an install video of the aftermarket trailer hitch for you once you get the factory one removed.
Your answer has been submitted!
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Recommended Trailer Hitch Receiver 2015 Subaru Forester Carrying Yakima EXO Swing Away Cargo Carrier
- Recommended 2" Rise Ball Mount For 2018 Subaru Forester W/ Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch Receiver 76182
- Most Hidden Trailer Hitch Recommendation for 2015 Subaru Forester
- Help Info For Installing Trailer Hitch on 2018 Subaru Forester
- Does the Draw-Tite Hitch 76182 for a 2018 Subaru Forester Require Bumper Trimming
- Recommended Trailer Hitch for a 2018 Subaru Forester
- Which Hitch Will Have The Best Ground Clearance Once Installed On A 2016 Subaru Forester
- Ground Clearance of Draw Tite Hitch # 76182 When Installed on 2017 Subaru Forester
- Trailer Hitches for 2018 Subaru Forester
- Most Hidden Trailer Hitch Recommendation for 2018 Subaru Forester
- Swing Out Bike Rack and Hitch Solution for 2017 Subaru Forester
- What Tool Is Recommended for Trimming Fascia and Under Panels
- Will Thule T2 Pro XTS Bike Rack Fit 2015 And 2018 Subaru Forester
- Comparing Curt and Draw Tite Class III Trailer Hitch for 2018 Subaru Forester
- Recommended Trailer Hitch for 2018 Subaru Forester XT with EyeSight
- Will Installation of Trailer Hitch on 2016 Subaru Forester Allow Moisture Into Frame
- Best Hidden Trailer Hitch for 2018 Subaru Forester
- Installation of Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch on 2018 Subaru Forester
- Trailer Hitch Recommendation for 2018 Subaru Forester
- Weight of Draw-Tite # 76182 and EcoHitch # 306-X7216 for 2018 Subaru Forester
- Installed Height Dimension for Draw-Tite Hitch 76182
- Trailer Hitch for 2018 Subaru Forester Which Works With Thule Parkway Bike Rackl
- Installation Video to Help Install Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch 76182 on a 2017 Subaru Forester
- How Similar Are Installation Processes for Various Hitch Models on 2015 Subaru Forester Premier
- How Does Draw-Tite Hitch 76182 Look on 2015 Subaru Forester?
- Can You Reuse the Fastners When Upgrading to a 2 Inch Hitch on a 2018 Subaru Forester
- Draw-Tite Hitch Rattles on 2017 Subaru Forester with Dual Exhaust
- Recommended Trailer Hitches and Bike Rack for a 2018 Subaru Outback Wagon and Forester