bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Adding 2nd 7-Way to 2019 Ford F-250 to Provide 12V Charging Power for Trolling Motor


I am buying a 2019 F250 with the “camper package” which has 7 pin receptacle installed in the truck bed. I am planning to install a Four Wheel Camper “Hawk” Model which comes with an Atwood 3 pin trolling motor. What can I use to connect the two systems.


Expert Reply:

The 7-way wiring harness setup in your F-250 that will connect to the camper (or to a trailer with a 7-way hookup) does include a 12V auxiliary power circuit that can maintain the deep-cycle batteries that come with the camper. This 12V power circuit is carried on the contact at the 1:00 position, as shown in the included photo.

Attwood trolling motors are offered in 12V, 24V and 36V versions and for charging a 12V model you can add a second 7-way socket (just like the one in the truck) to charge the motor using a part like # 50-97-410-010 or # C57008. These connect inline with your factory harness and give you all of the same lighting and power functions that are on the factory part. You can then wire a mating trailer plug like # A10-7081VP with 10-gauge wire # 10-2-1 to give you the 12V power.

I reviewed a manufacturer video of Four Wheel Camper's Hawk model slide-in truck pop-up camper that details the exterior features like water, shore power and solar power connections but this did not include any reference to a 3-pin trolling motor electrical hookup. The list of options did not include any mention of this either so it may be a dealer-installed item.

click to enlarge
expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>