How to Choose Replacement Bearings and Seal for Utility Trailer
Trying to replace the bearings on a utility trailer and the bearings do not have part numbers on them.
asked by: STEVE W
I wish I could tell you based off of the picture you sent in what bearings work with your spindle but if you don't have numbers on your bearings then the next best thing is to take a digital caliper and measure where each of the bearings and the grease seal sit on the spindle to the 3rd decimal (for example 1.234).
Replacement bearings and seals need to fit exact which is why it is important to use either the part numbers or the caliper. If you know the weight rating of your trailer axle that can help too as there are typical bearing/grease seal fits but it isn't always a guarantee.
I have attached a photo showing where you need to measure on your spindle as well as a link to our selection of bearings and seals that you can filter through. If you let me know what those measurements are I can help you find the correct replacements.
One other thing you may want to consider is changing out your spindle as well. From the picture you sent in it has seen better days and if there are any grooves, dents, or chips where the bearings or seal rides then that can cause premature wear for a few different components.
Featured Help Information
- Article: Most Popular Wheel Bearings
- Shop: Grease Seal - Double Lip - ID 1.719" / OD 2.565" - for 3,500-lb Axles - Qty 2
- Shop: Replacement Trailer Hub Bearing - L44649
- Shop: Washer For 1" Spindle
- Shop: Trailer Spindle Nut 1"
- Video: Bearing Repacking and Grease Seals Installation
- Shop: Replacement Trailer Hub Bearing - L68149
- Q&A: Replacement Grease Seals For TRP GS-1719DL
- Q&A: How to Determine Replacement Trailer Wheel Bearing Sizes
- Q&A: Does Trailer Hub Without Spindle Washer Need to Have One Installed
- Search Results: tang washer
- Search Results: trailer bearing washer
- Shop: Hub Bearing Kit for Lippert, Dexter, and AL-KO Axles - 3,500 lb with #84 Spindle
- Shop: Replacement Flat Washer for Demco Kar Kaddy X Towing Deck - 3/4"
- Q&A: How Many Pumps of Grease Should be Put in an Axle
- Q&A: How Much Grease is Needed in an EZ Lube Axle
- Search Results: rg06~050
- Search Results: l44649
- Search Results: 171255tb
- Search Results: sw1000
- Search Results: castle nut
- Shop: Wheel Cover
- Video: Adco Single Axle Tyre Gard RV Wheel Covers Review and Installation
- Video: Adco RV Covers - Tire and Wheel Covers - 290-3952 Review
- Video: etrailer Trailer Idler Hub Assembly Installation
- Video: etrailer Trailer Hubs and Drums - Hub - AKIHUB-545-35-G-EZ-K Review
- Q&A: Is There A Benefit To Going With A Higher Load Range Tire Than Your Trailer Requires
- Q&A: Who Makes the Replacement Trailer Hub Bearing L68149
- Video: TruRyde Trailer Bearings Races Seals Caps - Bearings - BK1-150 Review