bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Tow Bar Wiring Options for a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac


I have a motor home that has amber turn signals and separate red brake lights. I will be towing a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a neutral tow kit and SMI hydraulic supplemental brake controller. What wiring kit do I need? Thanks for your help.


Helpful Expert Reply:

There are a few different options of wiring that you can use for the lights when flat towing your 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. The Roadmaster Tail Light Wiring Kit # RM-152-LED is a great option that remains permanently installed on your vehicle but it does require you to drill 1" holes in your tail light housing. If you go this route then you also need to install the Brake-Lite Relay Kit # RM-88400.

For a less invasive lighting kit you can use the Optronics Magnetic Tow Lights # TL21RK. You install these each time you tow but since they are magnetic they are very simple and they stay put on your Sport Trac. You will not need the relay kit if you use this kit.

As long as the connector on your motorhome combines the stop and turn functions for the connector at the rear then you don't need to worry about it having separate stop and turn lights. If your motorhome doesn't have combined wiring then you can use the Roadmaster Converter # RM-732 to combine the functions. You can use a circuit tester # ALL640595 to tell if the same circuits/pins are used for your stop/turn signals on your motorhome connector or not.

helpful expert reply by:
Jon G

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>