Difference Between Draw-Tite Class II Hitch # 36423 and Class III Hitch # 75712 on 2008 Jeep Compass
I have a 2008 Jeep Compass. What is the difference between the 36423 Class II hitch and the 75712 Class III hitch...Thx
asked by: Ken
The difference in the Draw-Tite Class II 1-1/4 Inch Hitch, part # 36423, and the Draw-Tite Class III 2 Inch Hitch, part # 75712, for your 2008 Jeep Compass is the receiver size and the tongue weight capacity. They both have a 3,500-lb gross towing weight capacity.
The # 36423 hitch is a Class II rated hitch with a 300-lb tongue weight capacity and a 1-1/4 inch receiver size.
The # 75712 hitch is a Class III rated hitch with a 525-lb tongue weight capacity and a 2 inch receiver size.
I would recommend the # 75712 hitch because the 2 inch receiver will accept a wider range of hitch accessories (bike rack, cargo carrier). Also, the higher tongue weight capacity will allow you to apply a little more weight to the front of the trailer when towing. I am including links to the installation instructions on the # 75712 hitch and a video of the hitch being installed on a 2010 Jeep Compass.
If you will be towing with the # 75712 hitch I would also recommend the etrailer Ball Mount Kit, part # EBMK4. This kit includes the correct ball mount, two different size hitch balls (1-7/8 inch, 2 inch), pin and clip, and a storage bag.
I am including a link to an FAQ page on hitch receiver sizes.
Your answer has been submitted!
Products Referenced in This Question
- Trailer Hitch
- Custom Fit Hitch
- Class III
- 525 lbs TW
- 3500 lbs GTW
- 2 Inch Hitch
- Concealed Cross Tube
more information >
- Trailer Hitch Ball Mount
- Fixed Ball Mount
- 1-7/8 Inch Ball
- 2 Inch Ball
- Two Balls
- Steel Ball
- Steel Shank - Gloss Black
- Drop - 4 Inch
- Rise - 3 Inch
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
- 6000 lbs GTW
- Class III
- Ball Mount Kit
more information >
Featured Help Information
Similar Expert Q&A Pages
- Class II Trailer Hitch Availability for a 2014 Jeep Patriot
- Recommendation For Hitch That Clears The Muffler On A 2010 Jeep Compass
- Is Trimming Required to Install the Draw-Tite Class II Trailer Hitch # 36423 on a 2014 Jeep Patriot
- Can a 1-1/4 Inch Bike Rack be Used in a 2 Inch Trailer Hitch Receiver
- Is Trimming Required to InstallDraw-Tite Hitch # 36423 on a 2011 Jeep Patriot Sport
- Is the Drawbar Pin and Clip Included With Draw-Tite, 36423, Class II Receiver Hitch on 2009 Jeep
- Availability of a Trailer Hitch Receiver for a 2000 Oldsmobile Silhouette
- Is Fascia Trimming Required for Trailer Hitch Installation on a 2011 Jeep Patriot
- Bolts For Trailer Hitch on a 2007 Jeep Patriot Will Not Fit Factory Weldnuts
- Options for Carrying 4 Bikes with a 2010 Nissan Altima with a Class I Hitch
- Trailer Hitch Compatibility with 2014 Jeep Patriot
- Economical 2-Bike Rack Recommendation for 2012 Jeep Patriot
- Bike Rack Recommendations for a 2009 Jeep Patriot with Rear Spoiler
- Will the # 75712 Draw-Tite Class III Max Frame Trailer Hitch Fit on a 2007 Jeep Compass
- Recommended Trailer Hitch and Installation Information for 2012 Jeep Compass