bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Recommended Base Plates for Flat Towing 2001 Mazda Protégé Behind Motorhome


I bought a tow bar to tow my mazda protege 01 behind my rv. Im curious if i need to hook anything to my car?


Expert Reply:

It sounds like you are new to flat towing, and you have already purchased a tow bar. If that tow bar is the Roadmaster Falcon 2 Tow Bar # RM-520 you asked from, that is a great choice for your 2001 Mazda Protégé.

You will also need the Roadmaster Crossbar-Style Base Plate Kit - Removable Arms # 725-1 to attach the crossbar to your vehicle frame. This is a custom fit. This will give you the physical connection and then you will also need to add safety cables # RM-643.

There are a few other components you will also need to safely tow your vehicle. You will need tow bar wiring to help your vehicle lighting to be synced to your motorhome, a braking system for your vehicle, and then a high-low adapter. I've linked a page to the adapter options and have also linked an article to help with the correct measurements.

For your tow bar wiring, I recommend the Roadmaster Diode 7-Wire to 6-Wire Flexo-Coil Wiring Kit # RM-15267. This will use your vehicle wiring and allow you to splice in and protect it from backfeeding or overload. I've attached a video to assist. I also recommend using a battery charge kit # RM-156-25 to keep your Protégé battery maintained while towing.

Then for your braking system, I recommend the Blue Ox Patriot Portable Braking System - Proportional # BLU37TR if you want an easily removable system or the SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System - Proportional # SM99251 for a permanent option. I prefer the SMI because after installation you don't need to do any further adjustments and just flip a switch when you are ready to tow the vehicle. It is a very easy to use option.

This combination of parts will get you to your destination safely and with ease of use.

click to enlarge
expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>