Troubleshooting the 12 Volt Power Circuit on the 7-Way of a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500
2008 silverado 2500hd. Saw the post about how to connect the trucks power for use of the aux power to trailer. I have done this and tested it at he adapter on the truck and i get 12v. my problem comes in when i connect the 7-way to the truck. i get no power on it. i have checked continuity of the plug/wires and they are fine. It seems like the line goes dead once it is plugged in.
asked by: Nate
The first thing I would check once you have the connector wired up and the circuit appears to go dead would be for voltage on the wire before the connector. You said that the circuit appears to go dead once the connector is attached testing the wire of the circuit before the connector will allow you to determine if the problem is in the connector or on the circuit.
If there is voltage on the circuit before the connector but not at the 1:00 position of the 7-way then you know that the problem either lies in the way the connector is wired up or the connector itself is bad. This seems to be the most likely scenario.
If the circuit is going totally dead when you hook up the connector I would check the circuit for any shorts that could be tripping a circuit breaker when the connector is attached.
I attached the FAQ article on brake controller installation for 2008 GM trucks for you to review to make sure you have everything connected correctly.
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: Hitch Adapters and Extenders
- Q&A: Recommended Electric Over Hydraulic Brake Set Up for 2016 Montana 3710FL 5th Wheel
- Article: Brake Controller Installation: Starting from Scratch
- Q&A: Replacement Dexter Grease Seal for Seal Part K71-386-00
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Article: Trailer Hitch Receiver Sizes
- Q&A: Can I Equip A Dump Truck With Air Brakes With An Electric Brake Controller
- Q&A: Is Check Valve Needed When Installing Hayes Air Actuated Trailer Brake Controller
- Article: Trailer Maintenance Schedule
- Q&A: Trailer Plug Wiring For 2007 Freightliner M2 106 Cargo Truck
- Q&A: How To Install a 7-Way Trailer Connector and Brake Controller On a Freightliner Rollback M2
- Q&A: Trailer Hitch and 7-Way Wiring Harness for Freightliner M2
- Article: Which Hitches are Made in the USA