bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Where on Trailer Frame to Measure for Adjustable Width Trailer Hitch for RVs


I need a cargo carrier on my travel trailer, so I need to install a hitch. On my travel trailer when I measured between the box frame it is 66-1/2 inches. Measured from outside to outside the box frame it is 70-1/2 inches. It is 68-1/2 inches center to center on the box frame. Would the Curt 13704 work from me?


Helpful Expert Reply:

Thanks for all those measurements! There is a trailer hitch that will work great for your travel trailer, though the measurement you want to go with is from outside to outside, which you said was 70-1/2 inches. That means the correct hitch is the Adjustable Width Trailer Hitch Receiver for RVs, 22" to 72" Wide # 13703.

This is a Class III hitch with a 2" receiver and 350 lb tongue weight capacity so you will be able to carry a good deal of cargo with it. For a cargo carrier on the rear of a travel trailer you will need one with a solid shank (a non-folding carrier) and I strongly recommend the Stromberg Carlson Cargo Carrier # CC-100 because of its large, 60" long x 23" wide platform which allows you to carry plenty of gear. At just 39 lbs it is also lighter than most carriers and leaves you with the ability to haul over 300 lbs of gear on the carrier; to secure it to your hitch you can use Pin and Clip # PC3.

A great option for a cargo bag to keep your gear dry on the carrier is the etrailer Cargo Bag w/ Mounting Straps # 988501 which gives you a sizable 20 cubic feet of storage capacity. If you are hauling gear that does not need to be protected from the elements you can use Tie-Down Straps # IMF12637 with Cargo Net # H9500100.

Please keep in mind when using the Adjustable Width Trailer Hitch # 13703 you will need to also use the Curt Cam Buckle Stabilizing Strap for Hitch-Mounted Accessories # 18050.

I have added links to a number of video reviews for you to check out as well.

click to enlarge
helpful expert reply by:
Kyle S

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>