Q & A Icon

Solution for Converting Trailer with Atwood Drum Brake Surge Actuator to Disc


I have a weld on atwood actuator on my 2001 boat trailer. Its a 19foot boat trailer. I would like to switch from drum to disc brakes using one of your kits, however I would like to keep my original actuator because it is welded onto my removable tongue. Can I simply convert the master cylinder by removing the check valve similar to how you can do that on other actuators? Or is there more to it?


Expert Reply:

Some people have had luck punching out or removing the check valve in their drum brake actuator master cylinders to allow them to be used with the higher PSI requirements of disc brakes but the manufacturers of the actuators will not endorse this so we can't either. If Atwood replacement parts were still available the easiest solution would be to replace the master cylinder with the correct disc brake master cylinder.

Since that's not possible the best solution would be an all new actuator even though I know that's what you said you were trying to avoid. For that the Demco # DM8605101 that has an electric reverse lock out would be a great choice.

I also attached a help article that covers adding surge brakes to a trailer as well.

expert reply by:
Jameson C

Video/Article/FAQ this Question was Asked From

Article or Video

Follow up Questions

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>