bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Installation of Ventline Vanair Vent on Ford Transit Connect Van with Corrugated Roof


I would like to install the Ventline Vanair Trailer Roof Vent w/ 12V Fan - 6-1/4inch Diameter - Smoke Item # VP-543SP on my 2013 Ford Transit Connect. The roof of my Transit Connect has gutters aka rain guards, aka drip wells. The gutters are a guesstimate of around 1/2inch to 3/4inch deep. Is there an adapter kit for installing on a vehicle with gutters? Or how/what is the best way to install this fan and fill in the gutters gaps to be water tight between the fan and the roof? Also Ive heard there is an install kit screws etc for this fan but cant seem to find it when I search your website. Where can I find it? Lastly are there any additional parts you recommend purchasing electrical etc with this fan for install? Thank you.


Expert Reply:

Installing a roof vent on a vehicle that has a corrugated roof, especially a smaller vent like the Ventline # VP-543SP which requires a mounting hole only 6-1/2-inches in diameter, will mean that you'll need to fill the gaps between the vent and roof caused by those corrugations.

The easiest way to do this is to use a pure silicone sealant/adhesive such as # 0160297 which is white or a similar product from a local hardware store that is often available in a clear colorless form or in color options. I recommend you first trace out the mounting circle on the roof to determine where the vent's mounting flange and screw holes will be and then apply the silicone in stages. Applying it in stages, with full curing time in between, will ensure no leaks. A nice aspect of this product is that even when cured it remains slightly flexible which will actually give the vent a "shock-mount".

Another option is to make and install a mounting ring, such as a ring made of exterior-grade plywood, that you could first attach to the roof, sealing it fully using the silicone, and then install the vent to that intermediate surface. By the way, we do offer vent installation kit # 344270KITW which includes hardware, butyl tape and 2 tubes of self-leveling sealer, which would work well on the exterior if you choose to make the mounting ring.

For electrical connection you'll need a way to connect the vent to 12V power and provide a switch. You can use 16-gauge wire # DW02359-1 (sold by the foot), butt connectors # 05731-5 and an on-off switch like # PK34212. Use ring terminals # DW05702-1 to connect to the switch.

click to enlarge
expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>