Trailer Hitch Recommendation for 2009 Ford Escape to Tow Small Ski Doo Trailer
i have an 09 escape limited edition . 3.0 litre v6 . it doesnt have a trailer hitch but I know its not hard to install one . my question is will the escape be able to tow a trailer with my skidoos on it ? also, will I harm the transmission towing my sleds without a transmission cooler ? just need to know if Ill be ok to install the trailer hitch and tow my trailer with the skidoos ? and of course will it be ok to do so without any other work to the vehicle. thank you ,
asked by: Ray D
Looks like your 2009 Ford Escape with a V6 has a towing capacity of 2,000 lbs. As long as you stay under that capacity your vehicle will be totally fine as-is. You will have to install a trailer hitch though so that you can tow the trailer. For that the Draw Tite hitch part # 75751 would be a great option as it has plenty of capacity and a 2 inch hitch size.
For trailer wiring you'd then want the # 118551 which is an easy install and very reliable.
Since you wanted to do some towing you might be interested in etrailer ball mount kit # 989900. It comes with 2 ball mounts; one with a 3/4 inch rise or 2 inch drop and one with a 2-3/4 inch rise or 4 inch drop. It also includes a 1-7/8 inch ball, 2 inch ball, hitch pin with clip, and a storage bag.
If the ball mount kit does not include a ball mount with the right rise or drop to tow the trailer level, check out the link I have included that explains how to measure to choose a ball mount to tow the trailer level.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring
- Trailer Hitch Wiring
- Powered Converter
- Custom Fit
- 4 Flat
more information >
- Trailer Hitch Ball Mount
- Fixed Ball Mount
- 1-7/8 Inch Ball
- 2 Inch Ball
- Two Balls
- Steel Ball
- Steel Shank - Gloss Black
- Drop - 2 Inch
- Drop - 4 Inch
- Rise - 1 Inch
- Rise - 3 Inch
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
- 7500 lbs GTW
- Class III
- Ball Mount Kit
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Q&A: What Tools are Needed to Install Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch 75751 on a 2006 Ford Escape
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II Trailer Hitch and Class III Trailer Hitch
- Article: What Do I Need To Tow A Trailer?
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Q&A: Availability of Ramp Springs for Utility Trailer Gate
- Q&A: Does Trailer Wiring Power Wire Get Removed to Install Prodigy P3 Brake Controller
- Q&A: Does the Draw-Tite Hitch # 75751 fit under the Spare of a 2009 Ford Escape
- Q&A: Can the Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake Controller be Reset
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Article: Routing the Power Wire for a Trailer Wiring Harness
- Article: Roadmaster Vehicle Specific Base Plates