bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

7,000 lb Hyudraulic Actuator for Drum Trailer Brakes with Trailer Brake Lock Out for Backing Up


what unit has trailer braker back up and how good is the electric lock out units. my old one you need to put a bolt in the side


Expert Reply:

The Titan Brake Actuator, # T43397007K, that you referenced does not include a lockout system for backing your trailer. If you have a surge brake actuator that works well but doesn't have an electric lockout solenoid, # T4748800, can be added to allow you to back the trailer the same as adding it would work with the new actuator.

Along with the solenoid you will need a shield, # T4835800183, to protect the solenoid from damage, and you will need to upgrade the 4-Way connector on your truck and trailer to a 5-Way connector, # HM47900 and # HM47910, with the extra wire going to the reverse light circuit. If your truck has a factory 7-Way connector you could use the Adapter 7 Pole to 5 Pole Flat, # A75TB, to accommodate the 5-Way trailer connector.

Normally drum brakes can be backed without too much trouble on trailers with surge brakes, but if you need to back the boat up a steep incline or in some situation that causes pressure to be applied to the coupler, you will need the lockout solenoid.

The electric lockout solenoids work great. When the vehicle is shifted into reverse the solenoid activates, preventing the master cylinder form sending pressure to the wheel cylinders in the brakes. Once the car is shifted out of reverse the solenoid deactivates and allows the brakes to work normally. This system is preferred because you do not have to remember to get out and activate or deactivate the lockout.

The only thing to keep in mind when you are using the electric lockout is not to back over a large obstruction like a curb with the trailer wiring plugged in. The extreme pressure created, with the solenoid activated, could possibly cause a problem with the master cylinder or solenoid.

expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>