5th Wheel to Gooseneck Adapter for 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab and Ford F-250
Hi I have a 2009 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins mega cab I recently purchased and I have a fifth wheel I pulled with my old lifted Chevy and the trailer has had the axles flipped before I owned it. So my Cummins is stock height in the rear and does not have any hitch set up at this time Im looking to install a gooseneck ball and convert my fifth wheel to work with the gooseneck. So Im needing advise to figure out how to get the right adapter height for the Cummins and fifth wheel Im confused because the trailer is flipped but my 2500 heavy duty is stock but seems to set up high . And Im looking to buy the adapter first for my dad to tow my trailer in his f250 for a hunt . I wont be able to purchase a gooseneck hitch for my truck at this moment . How can I make sure to get the right adapter for my trucks future gooseneck ball? I just dont want to tow a trailer thats nose diving
asked by: Daniel
There are a couple of things to look at for your application but to figure out the height required for your adapter you need to go park your 5th wheel trailer, your 2009 Dodge Ram 2500, and your dad's Ford F-250 on level ground and then take some measurements. Be sure to disconnect the 5th wheel trailer and level it prior to measuring.
For your 5th wheel trailer you need to measure from the ground to the bottom of your pin box and then for your pickups you need to measure from the ground to the bottom of the bed (it would help to measure from the ground to the top of the gooseneck ball as well). Then subtract the bed height from your pin box height and that will tell you what you need as far as height goes for your adapter.
I recommend using the Convert-A-Ball Cushioned 5th-Wheel-to-Gooseneck Adapter # CAB-C5GX1216 because it has an adjustable height of 12" - 16", which you measure from the top of the gooseneck ball to the base of the pin box, and features a 7-1/2" offset which you need for the short bed of your Ram with the Mega Cab. The offset will help to prevent trailer-to-cab collision during tight turning situations.
The absolute best option for your Ram is the B&W Gooseneck Hitch # BWGNRK1308-5W and the Companion Slider # BWRVK3400-5W because you can have total bed access with the adapter removed and the hitch ball flipped upside down in the stored position, the Companion gives you 12" of travel (offset) so you can achieve a 90-degree turn, and it has an adjustable height of 17" - 19". The only problem with this setup is that unless your dad have a B&W gooseneck hitch installed on his F-250 you can only use the Companion for your pickup.
Even if you don't end up using the Companion adapter I still recommend the B&W gooseneck hitch because of how well it is made which is reflected in the limited lifetime warranty and the high praise that the Turnoverball has received from the towing community.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Fifth Wheel Installation Kit
- Below the Bed
- B and W
more information >
- Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Sliding Fifth Wheel
- Aftermarket Below Bed Rails
- 5000 lbs Vertical Load
- 20000 lbs GTW
- Double Pivot
- Standard - Double Jaw
- 17 - 19 Inch Tall
- 12 Inch Fore/Aft Travel
- B and W
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Article: Adapters for Towing a 5th Wheel Trailer with a Gooseneck Hitch
- Article: 4 Steps to Choosing Your 5th Wheel Pin Box
- Article: Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapters
- Q&A: Does Truck with 6-1/2 ft bed Have to Use Slider Hitch for Turning Clearance with Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Article: Best 5th Wheel to Gooseneck Adapters (2023)
- Q&A: Can Goose Box be Used with Short Bed Truck
- Article: Sidewinder with Rotating Turret for Short Bed Pickups
- Article: Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch Information and Installation Tips
- Article: How to Measure for Travel Trailer and Fifth Wheel Steps
- Q&A: Install Instructions and Install Video for Convert A Ball Fifth Wheel to Gooseneck Adapter
- Q&A: How To Gain Fifth Wheel Turning Clearance On My 2016 Ram 2500
- Q&A: Adapter to Use Curt Q24 Fifth Wheel Hitch in Bed of 2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 OEM Pucks
- Q&A: Does Recessed Gooseneck Ball Need to be Flush w/ Bed to use Demco Recon Adapter for Recessed Ball
- Q&A: How to Determine Clearance of Gen-Y Hitch 5th Wheel to Gooseneck on 2020 Ford F-250 Short Bed