Will the TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System # TST-507-FT-4 Work on Un-threaded Valve Stems?
I am pretty new to this world of trailer towing and have a question about tires. I have purchased the TST-507-FT-4 to monitor my trailers tire pressure and temp. I am concerned that the sensor will not work with my trailer tire valve stem. I do not have the trailer here to look at now, but I recall checking the pressure and NOT having to unscrew a valve stem cap like i do on my tow vehicles tires. I believe that I do not have threads on my trailer tire valve stems. If that is the case, can these non-threaded valve stems some how be changed out to proper ones that work with my tires AND the sensor? Where would I go for travel trailer tire maintenance? just a regular tire shop??
asked by: Stephanie P
To answer your main question, yes, you can have the valve stems changed out to ones that will work with your tires and the TPMS system. I recommend going to either a local RV/Trailer Maintenance shop or your local tire shop; either of these spots will be able to make these changes on your trailer tires. You could even purchase the stems in advance and have them installed at one of those locations. In order to choose the correct stems, you'll need to know the maximum PSI rating on your tire, but something like the Americana Valve Stem # AM20903 is what you would use to accomplish this; this particular valve stem is rated for up to 65-psi but they are available as high as 200-psi for different applications.
With that being said, we can't say that we've ever seen a tire without some sort of threading on the valve. If you do find that you've got something like this on your trailer tires, you would need to have new valve stems put on in order to make the TST TPMS for RVs # TST-507-FT-4 compatible with your tires.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Tire Repair Tools
- Valve Stems
- Snap-In Stem
- 8 Inch Tire
- 10 Inch Tire
- 12 Inch Tire
- 13 Inch Tire
- 14 Inch Tire
- 15 Inch Tire
- 65 psi
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Does TireMinder i10 part # TM38FR Show Pressure and Temperature
- Q&A: Where to place the Signal Booster for TPMS Sensors on 24 FT Gooseneck Aluminum Trailer?
- Q&A: Can TST TPMS for RVs # TST-507-FT-4 be Used on Rubber Valve Stems
- Article: 7 Common Questions Everyone Has About Trailer Tires
- Q&A: Difference Between TST-507-FT-4 and TST-507-FT-4-C Truck Systems Technologies Tire Pressure Monitors
- Q&A: What is Difference Between TST Tire Pressure Monitor Systems # TST-507-FT-4 and # TST-507-FT-4-C
- Q&A: Easiest to Install/Use Tire Pressure Monitoring System for Trailer Application
- Q&A: Do I need Metal Valve Stems for Flow Through Tire Sensors?
- Article: Which Sway Control Hitch is Right For Your Trailer?
- Article: How to Measure for Trailer Hitch Drop
- Article: Big Truck Big RV
- Article: 5 Tell-Tale Signs It’s Time to Replace Your Trailer’s Leaf Springs
- Article: Flat Towing Package for 2007-2018 JK Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)