Will Spare Tire Mounted Bike Rack on 2017 Jeep Rubicon Ruin Tire or Back Up Camera
I drive a 2017 Wrangler Rubicon fitted with an after-market back-up camera. I’d like a tire-mount bike rack, but am concerned that the pressure/friction caused by the rack on the tire will ruin my tire and camera. Any experience with this?
asked by: Katie
The answer to your question is going to depend on exactly where your camera sits. The Thule # TH963PRO bike rack is meant to have the upright snugged up against the sidewalls of the tire for stability. If the camera protrudes out any further than the tire sidewalls, the upright will contact and possibly damage the camera if the camera is centered on the rear of the vehicle.
If the camera is centered, then since the Thule Spare Me, part # TH963PRO rack doesn't have a central upright it would be a great option. The two uprights will still be contacting the tire sidewalls, but it won't be right on the centerline of the tire.
The Spare Me is an excellent rack, it features anti-sway cradles and an integrated locking system that allows the bikes to be secured to the rack and the rack to be secured to the car. We have not heard of any instances where the rack has caused damage to the tire.
- Q&A: Will the Yakima SpareRide Work With the Factory Backup Camera on a 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
- Article: How to Choose a Spare-Tire-Bike Rack
- Q&A: How Tall is the Vertical Arm of the Thule Hitching Post Pro Hitch Mount Bike Rack
- Q&A: How to Choose a Hitch Mount Bike Rack for a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- Q&A: Can the Surco Spare Tire 3-Bike Carrier be Installed Without the Spare Tire on a 2013 Jeep Wrangler
- Q&A: Camper Shell Roof Rack and Kayak Carriers for a Ford Pickup
- Q&A: Can Other Branded Cargo Carriers Be Used With The Hollywood Racks Sport Rider SE2 Bike Rack
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack for a Jeep Wrangler
- Q&A: Will 2021 Land Rover Defender Fit with Thule Spare Me 2 Bike Rack
- Article: How to Choose a Bike Rack That Will Clear a Rear Mounted Spare Tire or Bumper
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Article: Flat Towing Package for 2007-2018 JK Jeep Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited
- Article: Big Truck Big RV
- Article: My Trailer Hitch Doesn't Fit