Bolts For Trailer Hitch on a 2007 Jeep Patriot Will Not Fit Factory Weldnuts
The hitch # 36423 came in the mail this weekf for my 2007 Jeep Patriot and during my attempt to install I discovered that the 5/8 hex bolts that came with the hitch are too wide for bushings on my frame rails. Do you know what size of hex bolt will fit through the bushings? How will a smaller size bolt effect the performance of the hitch? Is this a common issue with the 2007 Jeep Patriot? Please help.
asked by: Jace T
It sounds like what you are experiencing are weldnuts that are packed with grime and corrosion. This happens if a vehicle has seen at least 1 winter. You will need to clean out the weldnuts using a spray lubricant like WD-40, a wire brush like # DW00254, and some muscle. I have included some links that will explain and show you how to get the weldnuts cleaned out so you can install the bolts and hitch.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Tools for Wiring
- Wire Brush
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: Can a 1-1/4 Inch Bike Rack be Used in a 2 Inch Trailer Hitch Receiver
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Q&A: What Is The Difference In A Grease Seal Labeled 171255TB and A Seal Labeled 171255VB
- Q&A: How Does Replacement Operator Mechanism for MaxxAir MaxxFan Plus MA10-20281K-1AF Install
- Q&A: Light To Replace Older Reflecto Light 110-150 On Travel Trailer
- Q&A: Is Trimming Required to Install the Draw-Tite Class II Trailer Hitch # 36423 on a 2014 Jeep Patriot
- Q&A: Bike Rack Recommendations for 2 Bikes and Bike Trailer
- Article: Brake Controller 7- and 4-Way Installation Kit (ETBC7)
- Article: Ball Mount Basics: Weight Capacity, Class, and Size
- Article: 5 Things to Know About Weight Distribution Hitches