Solution for Sway Control When Towing Boat Trailer with 2011 Chevy Avalanche
I dont have a owners manual for my truck and I just brought a bass tracker boat,is there a certain setting on my console to adjust for side to side sway while towing?Theres a switch just under the dash.
asked by: GARY F
I'm guessing from the question you were looking at that you have a 2011 Chevy Avalanche (if you have something else please let me know). I do have a solution for you but from what I could find it doesn't look like there is any sway control built into the vehicle itself.
For your application I recommend using a weight distribution (WD) system with built-in sway control. A WD system evenly distributes your trailer tongue weight between all axles involved in the towing setup and when coupled with the sway control it gives you the best handling available for your towing rig.
When looking into purchasing a Weight Distribution (WD) system you want to find one with a Tongue Weight (TW) range that the Total Tongue Weight (TTW) of your towing setup falls in the middle of. To find the TTW of your towing setup you will need to add the TW of your fully loaded and ready-to-go trailer, which you can use part # e99044 for, along with the weight of any cargo behind the rear axle of your tow vehicle. Keep in mind that a properly loaded trailer will have a TW that is 10-15% of the loaded weight of your trailer.
Attached is a link to our selection of WD systems. If you can let me know how much your boat and trailer weighs I can make a recommendation for you.
Featured Help Information
- Shop: etrailer Tongue Weight Scale for Campers and Utility Trailers - 2,000-lb Capacity
- Video: etrailer Campers and Utility Trailers Tongue Weight Scale Review
- Shop: MORryde Safe-T-Rail Telescoping RV Hand Rail
- Video: MORryde Safe-T-Rail Telescoping RV Hand Rail Review
- Shop: Valterra Trailer Jack Stand - Polyethylene - 8-5/8" Diameter x 8-3/8" Tall - 10K
- Search Results: leveling blocks
- Search Results: trailer tongue jack
- Video: Review of etrailer Tools - Hitch Tools - Measuring Devices - e99044
- Q&A: Etrailer Tongue Weight Scale VS. Sherline Tongue Weight Scale
- Q&A: How to Determine Tongue Weight with Weight Distribution System Connected
- Q&A: How to Find Weight of Trailer
- Q&A: Sway in 1996 Chevy Suburban 1500 Towing 7000-lb Trailer with Weight Distribution/Sway Control Hitch
- Q&A: What Would Cause Weight Distribution System to be Maxed Out and Suspension to Still Sag
- Q&A: Tongue Weight Too Low On Boat Trailer Towed By 2018 Ram 2500
- Q&A: What Typically Causes Trailer Sway
- Search Results: trailer jack
- Shop: Trailer Hitch
- Article: Trailer Wiring Diagrams
- Shop: Trailer Wiring
- Article: Determining Trailer Tongue Weight
- Shop: etrailer Hitch Pin Alignment Collar for Hitch Accessories - 2" Hitches
- Video: Choosing the Right Trailer Wiring
- Search Results: hitch
- Shop: Suspension Enhancement
- Shop: Universal Installation Kit for Trailer Brake Controller - 7-Way RV and 4-Way Flat - 10 Gauge Wires
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Search Results: trailer brake controller
- Shop: Brake Controller
- Search Results: tongue weight scale
- Article: Trailer Tire Sizing