Can a 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch be Installed on an International 4300 Truck with a Utility Service Bed
Is it possible to mount a fifth wheel hitch in an International 4300 truck that has a utility service box? Do you sell a kit that will work in this truck?
asked by: Jim R
It is possible to install a 5th wheel hitch in a truck that has a service bed depending on the type of service bed. If the service bed is the type that has all the doors and storage on the sides and is much larger than a regular side rails on a truck bed, you will not be able to install a 5th wheel hitch.
If the service bed is more like a flat bed, it is possible to install a hitch. It would be a custom installation that would have to be performed by a qualified professional. The hitch I recommend for this application is the Reese low profile hitch, # RP30054.
I have included a link to the installation instructions for this hitch. You will need a 1/2 inch thick steel plate. This plate will be welded to brackets that will in turn be bolted to the truck frame. These brackets will need to be fabricated by a machine shop. The steel plate and brackets will be beneath the bed. The hitch will bolt through the bed and through the steel plate.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Fixed Fifth Wheel
- 7500 lbs Vertical Load
- 30000 lbs GTW
- Double Pivot
- Standard - Double Jaw
- 9-1/2 - 12-1/2 Inch Tall
more information >
- Article: Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch Information and Installation Tips
- Q&A: Recommended 5th Wheel Hitch For A 2021 Ram 2500 With Puck System And Turning Point Pin Box
- Q&A: Does Truck with 6-1/2 ft bed Have to Use Slider Hitch for Turning Clearance with Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Q&A: Recommended RV Storage Cover For A Grand Design 295RL 5th Wheel Trailer
- Q&A: Comparing the Curt Q20 and the Curt A20 5th Wheel Hitches.
- Q&A: Direct Replacement For The Morryde SPB72-1621LD Fifth Wheel King Pin
- Article: Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapters
- Article: 4 Steps to Choosing Your 5th Wheel Pin Box
- Q&A: Recommended Low Weight 5th Wheel Hitch For A 2021 Ram 2500 With OEM Puck System
- Q&A: Difference Between Lippert 1621 Pin Box And 1621SHD Pin Box
- Article: Sidewinder with Rotating Turret for Short Bed Pickups
- Article: Using a Portable Generator on RV
- Article: Pintle-Hitches
- Article: Ram Trailer Tow Prep Package