How to Determine Height Setting for Hijacker Autoslider When Used on a 2020 Ram 2500
I would like to use the Demco DM8550034 to tow with my 2020 Ram 2500 with a short bed. Before I purchase it though I want to make sure that I'm able to get the correct height to I don't hit my truck bed side rails. How can I make sure that this doesn't happen?
asked by: Tracy
Great question! To determine if the height settings of 15-1/4", 16-1/2", and 18" for the Demco Hijacker Autoslide # DM8550034 give you enough room to clear the bed sides on your 2020 Ram 2500 you need to measure from the ground to your truck bed and then again from the ground to the bottom of your pin box where the king pin is attached. Then it is a simple matter of making sure the bottom of your pin box is at least 5" above your bed sides and that the difference between the measurements you took matches up with one of the height settings of the Hijacker. Please keep in mind that you can adjust the height of your pin box too.
If you don't already have a base rail kit install on your Ram then I recommend using the Reese Quick-Install Custom Installation Kit # RP50054-58 so that you can utilize the Hijacker.
Something else you might be interested in is wiring like the Bargman # 50-97-410 which gives you a 7-Way socket in the bed of your Ram to make it easier to connect/disconnect the wiring from your 5th wheel trailer.
Attached are some sample installation videos for you to check out.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring
- Fifth Wheel and Gooseneck Wiring
- 9 Feet Long
- Custom Fit
- 7 Round - Blade
more information >
- Fifth Wheel Installation Kit
- Above the Bed
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Does Truck with 6-1/2 ft bed Have to Use Slider Hitch for Turning Clearance with Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Article: 4 Steps to Choosing Your 5th Wheel Pin Box
- Q&A: Do I Have to Have a Sliding 5th Wheel Hitch in a Short Bed Truck
- Q&A: Are Capture Plates Needed When Using the Demco Autoslide With a Lippert Road Armor Pin Box
- Article: Sidewinder with Rotating Turret for Short Bed Pickups
- Q&A: Will the B&W Companion Fit Into OEM Pucks on a 2024 Chevrolet Silverado 2500
- Q&A: Do I Need a Capture Plate for a Rota Flex Pin Box?
- Article: Ram Trailer Tow Prep Package
- Q&A: Side Plates Needed To Install Demco 21K Autoslide 5th Wheel Hitch In a 2023 GMC Sierra 3500 Puck Bed
- Q&A: Recommended Autosliding Hitch and 5th Wheel Rails for a 2023 Ram 2500
- Article: Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapters
- Article: Guide to Choosing the Best Truck for 5th-Wheel Towing
- Article: Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch Information and Installation Tips
- Article: How to Measure for Travel Trailer and Fifth Wheel Steps