How to Pick Out the Correct Rise/Drop Ball Mount for a 2005 Ford Freestyle
Im looking at the 75299 hitch for my 2005 Ford Freestyle. Im not seeing some dimensions I need to choose the right ball mount. I plan to use a 2inch ball and want the top of the ball to be at 12inch above road and not more than 14. Please help me identify the right combination of parts to complete this project.
asked by: Mark
I do not have the exact figure for how many inches of rise or drop you would need to order a drawbar with. But I can help you figure this out. The hitch opening for the Draw-Tite hitch # 75299 will basically sit right under the bumper of your 2005 Ford Freestyle once installed. So if you measure from the ground to bottom of the bumper you will have basically the distance rise/drop you would have if you had a ball mount with no rise or drop.
So if the distance happens to be 16 inches from the ground to the bottom of your bumper you would want a ball mount with a drop of 4 inches so that the ball mount platform would end up right a 12 inches from the ground.
The best way to pick out a ball mount is to pick one with the rise/drop that will allow your trailer sit as level as possible.
I attached an FAQ article on how to select the proper ball mount as well as a page that has all of the different ball mounts available for the Class III hitches.
I also attached a link to a page that has all of the 2 inch hitch balls for you to check out also.
Featured Help Information
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Q&A: Is There a Class III Hitch Available for a 2008 Ford Taurus
- Q&A: Troubleshooting Tail Lights on 2008 Mercury Sable Not Working With Curt T-Connector Installed
- Q&A: Curt Class III Trailer Hitch Compatibility With a 2007 Ford Freestyle
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Q&A: Towing Capacity of Class III Trailer Hitch When Installed on 2007 Ford Freestyle
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 4-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)
- Q&A: Dexter 10,000LB Axle Wheel Retaining Ring Placement
- Q&A: How To Order Replacement Mounting Hardware For A Trailer Hitch
- Article: Trailer Hitch Receiver Sizes