bing tracking image
Q & A Icon

Mounting Location for Stay and Play DUO Operating Unit


I am having trouble finding a suitable location to mount the unit inside the engine Bay Area. Any suggestions for a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi V8?


Expert Reply:

When I installed the Stay-IN-Play DUO # SM99251 in a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee I mounted the operating unit in the front of the engine bay on the core support. You can mount the operating unit anywhere that the wires and hoses can reach; it's just recommended that it mounts in the engine bay away from direct water exposure and extreme heat sources.

After installing many flat tow set ups on different vehicles, the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to plan out your install. Take a little bit of time to think of how you want to route everything, and where you want to mount the components. It makes a big difference having a game plan ahead of time.

There are several other components for a full flat tow set up. You may already have all the parts, but I'll list my recommendations.

Base Plate - Roadmaster Direct-Connect Base Plate Kit # RM-521440-5

Tow Bar Wiring - Roadmaster 4-Diode Universal Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles # RM-152-98146-7

Tow Bar - Roadmaster BlackHawk 2 All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar - RM-422

Safety Cables - RoadMaster 76" Single Hook, Straight Safety Cables - # RM-645-76

Battery Charge line (optional, but keeps battery charged while towing) - Roadmaster Battery Charge Line Kit for Towed Vehicles - # RM-156-25

Whenever towing you want the tow bar to be level as possible. However the hitch on the motor home and the attachment points on the base plate don't always line up and a high low adapter is needed. I linked an article explaining how to measure for one, and a link to our selection of high low adapters.

I linked the parts above, along with some videos and a picture of the operating unit mounted.

click to enlarge
expert reply by:

Products Referenced in This Question

Product Page this Question was Asked From

Q & A Icon

Similar Expert Q&A Pages

See More Q&A Expert Answers >>