Why Does a Class II Hitch Mount Bike Rack Not Fit Into a Class I Trailer Hitch on a 2009 Mazda 5
Im looking for a 2-bike rack for a Mazda5, which can only accommodate a Class 1 1.25inch hitch. What is it about this Yakima bike rack that restricts it to Class 2 and higher?
asked by: Markus
The length of the shank from the pin hole back to the end of it on the Yakima RidgeBack, # Y02457, is too long to fit in a Class I trailer hitch and have the hitch pin holes line up. It physically will not fit a Class I hitch. It is a Class II accessory only when uses in a 1-1/4 inch receiver.
Most Class I trailer hitches have a stop built into them that will prevent a user for installing a Class II accessory and overloading the hitch which can cause damage. I have included a picture to illustrate this more clearly.
We have number other bike racks that will fit a Class I trailer hitch. I recommend the Swagman Titan, # S63400 because it comes with features you would expect, anti-sway cradles, the ability to tilt, and it also includes an integrated cable lock. I have included some links on this bike rack for you to view.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Hitch Bike Racks
- Hanging Rack
- Folding Rack
- Tilt-Away Rack
- Frame Mount
- Bike Lock
- 2 Bikes
- Class 1
- Class 2
- Class 3
- Fits 1-1/4 and 2 Inch Hitch
- Fits 1-1/4 Inch Hitch
- Fits 2 Inch Hitch
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Can Bikes with Fender Fit on RockyMounts AfterParty Swing Away Bike Rack
- Q&A: Using Class II Accessories on a Class I Hitch
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between Class 1 and Class 2 Hitches for the Scion XB
- Q&A: How Much Assembly Is Required for the Thule Camber 2 Bike Rack
- Article: How to Choose the Right Trailer Hitch Class
- Q&A: How Much Does the Kuat Transfer V2 Weigh?
- Article: Rolling on a Budget: Top Wallet-Friendly Platform Bike Racks
- Q&A: What is the Difference Between a Class II and a Class III Hitch?
- Q&A: What is the Best Hitch for a 2024 Hyundai Tucson?
- Article: How to Carry Bikes While Towing a Travel Trailer
- Article: What is an RV-Approved Bike Rack? (And Do You REALLY Need One?)
- Article: Trailer Hitch Receiver Sizes
- Article: Carrying Bikes While Towing a 5th Wheel Camper Trailer
- Article: Best RV Roof Vents