Can a Sliding 5th Wheel Hitch Be Used With a Long Bed Truck
I have a draw tite 5th wheel slider hitch, is there any reason why I can install that in a 2015 Chevy 3500 long box
asked by: Ben L
You absolutely can put a slider 5th wheel hitch in your 2015 Chevrolet 3500 long bed; it's more than likely you won't need the sliding function to make turns so it could stay in the forward travel position. The only downside to it is there is more moving parts with slider hitches, which means there's going to be more noise when you're towing. Not to mention they are bigger and weigh more than stationary hitches so removing, and installing them is a little more difficult.
To put your existing fifth wheel in your truck you will need rails to mount it, I recommend the Curt Custom Fifth Wheel Installation Kit C16411-204. These have custom mounting brackets made for your Silverado so the install will go much smoother than universal rail kits.
If you are looking for a stationary hitch I recommend the Curt A20 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch C16140. It's rated for 20K GTW and 5K TW and has a 2 piece jaw system so it fully wraps around the king pin for a quiet smooth ride.
For in bed wiring I recommend Curt 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Custom Wiring Harness # C56070.
I linked the parts mentioned above and attached a few videos for you to check out.
Products Referenced in This Question
- Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Fixed Fifth Wheel
- Above Bed Rails
- 5000 lbs Vertical Load
- 20000 lbs GTW
- Cushioned Double Pivot
- Standard - Double Jaw
- 13 - 17 Inch Tall
more information >
- Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring
- Fifth Wheel and Gooseneck Wiring
- 7 Feet Long
- Custom Fit
- 7 Round - Blade
more information >
Featured Help Information
- Q&A: Will The RBW Lil Rocker 5TH Wheel Hitch Fit In a 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD?
- Q&A: Does Truck with 6-1/2 ft bed Have to Use Slider Hitch for Turning Clearance with Fifth Wheel Hitch
- Article: Ram Trailer Tow Prep Package
- Article: 4 Steps to Choosing Your 5th Wheel Pin Box
- Q&A: Do Holes in the Frame of a 2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 get Used for Install of Fifth Wheel Rails
- Q&A: Best 5th Wheel Hitch That Works With The Lippert Turning Point Pin Box
- Article: Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapters
- Q&A: Will B&W Companion Slider Base For Ford Fuper Duty Puck System Fit B&W Companion Head For Chevy
- Q&A: Is the Reese Elite Puck System for Chevy the Same Exact Configuration as the OEM GM Puck System?
- Q&A: Recommended 5th Wheel Rail Kit for a 2024 Chevy Silverado 2500
- Article: Sidewinder with Rotating Turret for Short Bed Pickups
- Article: 5th Wheel Hitch Installation | The Ultimate DIY Guide
- Article: Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch Information and Installation Tips
- Article: Wiring Trailer Lights with a 7-Way Plug (It's Easier Than You Think)